Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Power Washers

Visiting Guest

02-03-03, 05:04 PM   #1  
wtm113
Power Washers

I like to buy a power washer to wash my car. I don't want to wash off the paint, just the dirt. What PSI should I get or what is the largest PSI can I use on a painted surface?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-04-03, 06:07 AM   #2  
Joe_F
None. Wash it by hand. Much better off. There is no need to use a power washer on most vehicles unless they are used commercially at jobsites.

VA

02-04-03, 07:23 PM   #3  
I agree with Joe_F.
I've got a 13hp Honda powered pw and only tried it on my OWL tires. Nothing beats a hand sponge wash - all film is removed.
When I pw an alum or vinyl sided house, all I really need is a garden hose rinse. I'ts the brush or sponge that removes the bulk of dirt and all film. I'm sure you've been to those 25cent($1)car washes: the film remains.
fred

Visiting Guest

02-04-03, 08:17 PM   #4  
mikejmerritt
I agree with the others....you must rub it/scrub it if you want it clean. To answer your question in case you just want to knock the mud off so you can rub it/scrub it 1500 PSI is all you want and a medium wide tip would be perfect....Mike

Visiting Guest

02-05-03, 12:01 PM   #5  
redneck
I got one of those 2,600psi deals, takes off paint, undercoating, siding, shutters, shingles, molding, etc. Mostly just use it as a leaf blower, and to blast junk off the drive way into the street. Neighbor borrowed it once to strip an old dresser he had--I did'nt ask!!

Search this Thread