90 Dodge Daytona has a new noise

Old 02-04-03, 04:17 AM
90 Dodge Daytona has a new noise

90 Dodge Daytona V6 5 speed with 140k+ miles just started making a noise that one shop thinks is a lifter, from what they hear. The noise just started. Don't hear it all the time. Mainly when it's been driven vs just being started.

I guess a concern I have is my son drives kinda fast. Turns fast, accelerates fast. Wondering if his driving style will cause this problem to worsen and what might happen.

Any advise?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-03, 05:58 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If it's wasted, it's wasted. Not much you can do about it.

How's the oil pressure? Has the vehicle seen regular maintenance? What does it look like inside?

Old 02-04-03, 06:31 AM
What does it look like inside the hood or inside the car?
Both look fine. Car hasn't been too abused. It did sit for at least a year, but things aren't rusty under the hood. I know some maintenance was done by the former owner, like replacing the timing chain/belt (I'm a woman and don't know right words sometimes).
I think the oil pressure is good. Will have him check that. He did say the temp gauge stays low. Am going to have the thermostat replaced.
A lifter problem isn't so grave, is it? I drove a 68 Malibu with noisy lifters for several years.
I think I hear you saying his driving aggressively will not make the lifter problem worse?

Old 02-04-03, 06:37 PM
Drives kinda fast, hmmm... there is a moral here. You tend to appreciate the things you work for.

Old 02-05-03, 04:31 AM
Isn't the need for speed a hormonal thing is some guys? This son also races motocross (99 YZ125).
But, if you treat a bike OR car like a racing machine, topends, etc, have to be replaced a lot more frequent than a street car, right?

Old 02-06-03, 06:50 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I'll keep out of the preaching part, but I agree that if you take care of things, they will treat you well and last a very long time .

You need to tell us more about what was done to the vehicle. How does it look under the valve cover? Sludge? Carbon? Clean? Dry/no oil?

That might tell you what/where the valvetrain noise is.

Old 02-07-03, 04:10 AM
point me to a link on removing the valve cover. Son and his mechanic friend might be knowledgable about this, but just in case.

Old 02-07-03, 05:04 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Autolibrary.org below. Failing that, an Alldata.com subscription or a Chrysler service manual.