Seville Intermittent Fast Idle and Acceleration

Old 02-03-03, 05:44 PM
GeoCache
Visiting Guest
Seville Intermittent Fast Idle and Acceleration

My 1992 Seville STS has several, apparently related intermittent problems.

About once a week, when the car starts, the engine will rev up to around 3500 RPM and stay there for about 15 seconds before gradually slowing down to a normal idle.

Additionally, about once a week, when cruising along at 40 or 45 MPH, the car will accelerate on its own as if the accelerator or cruise control was stuck. It only goes back to a normal idle after applying the brakes and bringing the car to a complete stop. My mechanic replaced the idle speed control motor but the problem still exists.

Finally, twice in the last 3 months, after turning off the car, the accelerator pedal made a tapping noise. When I opened the hood, the plunger on the idle speed control motor was going in and out and making a clicking noise.

Suggestions anyone? Thanks.

Old 02-03-03, 06:22 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sounds to me like a throttle position sensor problem, or incorrectly adjusted throttle position sensor, i would suggest taking to dealership where they for sure have the correct equipment and manuals to fix it and adjust the isc and tps to specification correctly, so atleast your first and third problem doesnt occur.

Old 02-04-03, 06:06 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with BeJay.

Old 02-04-03, 06:56 AM
GeoCache
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: