1997 Cavalier stopped running wont start

Old 02-04-03, 05:22 PM
BillyButtons
Visiting Guest
Question 1997 Cavalier stopped running wont start

Hello, I have a 1997 Cavalier that was experiencing hard starting problems. I replaced the fuel filter....no difference. Next spark plug wires.....the problem was now only occasional. Then a few hundred miles later it was missing idleing and at normal speeds. Replaced coils and spark plugs. Worked fine for a few more hundred miles. Today I traveled about 70 miles....stopped for about 30 minutes. Started the car and it shut off in less than 30 seconds. I pulled the air tube off the throttle body to make sure its getting air...pulled the plugs and cranked it over.....fuel comes spraying out to the head in every cylinder. I checked the plugs for spark outside in the dark.....all plugs sparking. And no fuses are blown.??????
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-03, 08:40 PM
Whet engine size? Have someone like Autozone pull the error codes off te computer. There was even a Service Bulletin about high oil pressure causing misfires and stalling.

Old 02-04-03, 09:06 PM
BillyButtons
Visiting Guest
Thanks Stevo The engine is 2.2 .....I did take it to autozone and that is who diagnosed it with mutiple misfires. From there I proceeded to replace the coils, plugs and wires. I would take it back but my buddy had to pull me home today with a chain (trying to save a tow bill). The motor just cranks and cranks and wont start.
Would you suggest a MAP sensor or a fuel pressure regulator maybe even a TPS sensor? I am just guessing now.

Old 02-04-03, 09:19 PM
Dont waste good money throwing parts at it. Do you have spark while it turns over? I will post a link for diagnostics with "multiple misfires" and "crank-no start" Take a look at it..its 22 pages long.
http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/OEMBulletins04/047435.pdf

Old 02-04-03, 09:44 PM
BillyButtons
Visiting Guest
I believe you have put me on the right track..... the information you have led me to is very detailed....I can handle the mechancial part of wrenching....unfortunatly I dont have the scan tools required to check for the malfunction or the software for reprograming.
I hate to do it but I guess I will have to pull it to a shop....after I try a few inexpensive ideas from the link you gave me.
Either way I will respond with the results and what was needed to fix it.
Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

Old 02-06-03, 06:52 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Start with the links and posts that Stevo gave you and in my signature file below.

Barring that, might be cheaper to have a shop look at it for you if you doubt your ability.

Old 02-10-03, 06:52 PM
BillyButtons
Visiting Guest
Thanks Steve and Joe. The problem was a $113.00 Fuel Pressure Regulator. In plain view to the right of the valve cover with a vacuum line that runs to the throttle body. Vacuum line was sucking fuel past the regulator and dumping it into the throttle body.
Thank you again for your help.
Bill