90 beretta overheating and no heat

Old 02-04-03, 11:14 PM
JJKing
Visiting Guest
90 beretta overheating and no heat

1990 beretta 3.1
Ok, The car overheated, no heat blowing from heater. So I replaced the thremostat. Problem fixed for about 2 days. Then the same crap, car overheated with no heat. So I thought that it was a 1:1,000,000 chance that I got a bad one, so I bought another one. Still overheating, with no heat. So I took the thermostat out, and put a peice of cardboard infront of the radiator. Problem fixed again, car ran at normal temp., in town, little cool on highway. I also had heat. Then after about 2-3 weeks of running fine, it over heated again with no heat. I checked ALL hoses to see if one was kinked or slightly kinked. Water pump is fine. Gaskets are fine. Also, I did flush the the system in the summer, months before the problems.
---Jesse

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-03, 01:05 PM
motyen69
Visiting Guest
Maybe one of your radiator hoses have separated on the inside which would restrict flow and cause overheating. Antifreeze?

Old 02-06-03, 06:46 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Do the electric fans ever come on?

Have the coolant checked for the presence of hydrocarbons by a shop with a gas analyzer. If positive, blown head gasket.

Old 02-07-03, 12:13 AM
JJKing
Visiting Guest
Thats what it is, a bad head gasket. I've got it all apart now. Any tips before I start putting it back together?? I did check the head with a machined straight edge, and the head is not warped.

Old 02-07-03, 05:08 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have the heads checked professionally by a machine shop for straightness, integrity and bad valves. Specialized equipment is needed to do this. A machined straight edge won't tell you much.