Camry Radio/Clock/Dome Light not working

Old 02-05-03, 09:48 AM
tkays
Visiting Guest
Camry Radio/Clock/Dome Light not working

1995 Toyota Camry.

The radio and clock were working 2 days ago. Last night my wife comes in and says the radio won't come on and the clock is out.
So of course my 1st thought was to check the fuses. Which I did and all looked fine.
The interior lights that light up her a/c controls at night have been on the blink for a while, but I usually just smack the dash and they will kick back on. Which they still do, but the radio and the clock just seem to be dead. What can cause this besides the fuse?

The other problem is the dome light. I replaced the bulb and it still will not work. Is there a fuse for that, or do I have something I need to take to a mechanic?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-03, 03:59 PM
If fuse(s) are not blown, you have an open circuit. In other words, the wire that powers those items has no connection to them from the source of power. Time to "chase" wires.

Old 02-05-03, 06:18 PM
Dome light, radio (memory power) and clock are same fuse. Should be in under hood fuse box labeled "dome"

Larry

Old 02-06-03, 04:33 PM
tkays
Visiting Guest
so there is a seperate fuse box in under the hood besides the one behind the change holder inside the car?

Old 02-06-03, 04:41 PM
tkays
Visiting Guest
Okay, found the fuse box. ANy idea which fuse it is? I don't want to just start pulling fuses and do something I shouldn't

Old 02-06-03, 05:51 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
As Larry noted, the inside of the box should be marked---or the owner's manual will tell you which is which.

Old 02-07-03, 09:18 AM
tkays
Visiting Guest
Thanks Guys

I had no idea about the other fuses under the hood. I just knew about the one inside the car...it said radio so I figured something else was wrong. Glad I got on here before I decided to take it to someone.

Just replaced the fuse and all is working fine again. Really appreciate it.

Thanks Again

Old 02-07-03, 09:24 AM
Word of caution:

New type plastic fuses only go bad for a reason. Not like the old glass type would become old and break. You have to have a short some place for the newer plastic type fuse to blow.

By any chance to you have lighted vanity mirrors in the sun visors?

Larry

Old 02-07-03, 12:19 PM
tkays
Visiting Guest
No lighted mirror on shades

but, The interior lights that illuminate the A/C controls at night work sometimes and sometimes they don't. I can smack the dash and kinda Fonzy them on most of the time.

Old 02-07-03, 12:56 PM
Heater control lights are protected by the tail fuse, so it has no effect on the dome fuse.

Larry

Old 02-07-03, 12:58 PM
Any other acc added? Maybe after market sun roof? Phones? Alarms?

Larry

Old 02-10-03, 11:30 AM
tkays
Visiting Guest
Nothing else extra has been added on. So I guess there is a short in the wires for the heater control lights?

I also have another question.

Ever since the 1st time I had to change the back tail light out, he warning light for the brake lights, will not go out. Even though the brake lights are working fine

Old 02-10-03, 02:51 PM
Heater light has nothing to due with the dome circuit.

Have to research "lamp failure relay" for possible power from dome fuse. I don't think off hand It's related though

Larry

Old 02-10-03, 05:38 PM
tkays,
On your brake light problem:
Make sure the bulb that you replaced is the same as the other bulbs ( 1157,2057,2157,3157, etc..).
They can all fit in the same socket, but the resistance of the bulb is different.
Mixing bulb numbers changes resistance of the circuit. That is how the light on the dash determines if a bulb is out by a resistance change. You can inadvertently cause the dash light to come on by inserting the wrong bulb in the circuit. We get a bunch of these at our dealership.

Old 02-10-03, 05:41 PM
OK, looking at the bulb numbers- not all the numbers I typed in will fit in the same socket but you get the idea...........

(Didn't wan't to edit and get the numbers wrong again)