Just dies....

Old 02-05-03, 06:42 PM
fuller911
Visiting Guest
Just dies....

Vehicle is a 1997 F-150 4.2 V6 with 102k miles. While making a turn this evening the vehicle just died. No stutter or nothing. It just DIED. It rooled to a stop, I put it in park and it started right back up and hasn't died since. This same thing did happen about 6 months ago now that I recall. What do you guys or gals suggest???

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-03, 04:36 AM
Group Moderator
Be sure to check JoeF's column, "The Basics".

When we get an intermittent engine stall on one of our wreckers (350 Chevy gas engines), it's usually been a fuel pump getting ready to go. There are some other possibilities such as basic tune-up items - plugs, wires, cap & rotor - or something a little bigger such as coil or ignition module.

Old 02-06-03, 04:39 PM
fuller911
Visiting Guest
I replaced the plugs and wires about 2 weeks ago. How do I check the other things for fault??

Old 02-06-03, 05:56 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Could be a multitude of things.

First check alldata.com to see if any bulletins/recalls match your problem.

Failing that, it may be tough for a shop to replicate something that doesn't happen for them. However, tapping in through a scan tool might tell them something.

Ford will do that to ya, just drop off in the wind. LOL.

Old 02-07-03, 06:07 AM
Group Moderator
Joe Cool's right (as usual). Unfortunately intermittent problems can be real brain-busters as you may not find a fault while troubleshooting if the problem is not present. Not unusual for us to tow a vehicle to a garage for a "no start" and the mechanic jumps in and fires it up.

And of course if you rtake a stab in the dark, like say an ignition module; you won't know if you actually fixed anything unless it goes several months (or longer, depending on how intermittent the problem was) without seeing the problem.

Definitely worthwhile to have a scan tool hooked up to see if it says anything. Might also check fuel pressure, but you could have good pressure and still have an intermittent pressure drop that is enough to make it stall.

[GM products will do it sometimes, too; my wrecker - 350 Chevy engine - every now and then, while sitting idling, will just go "boop" and it's dead. Immediately restarts no problem. Been a couple of years since last time fuel pump was replaced, so may be going again. Also have 335,000 miles on the truck, so could be a lot of things in my case]

Old 02-07-03, 05:53 PM
fuller911
Visiting Guest
I did have the codes scanned before I changed the wires. It came back saying I had misfires on cylinders 1 and 4. And something about a Oxygen part. The guy who scanned it said I should replace the plugs and wires first to fix the misfires. (which I did).

He said the part that had oxygen in its name was on top of the motor somewhere that I have forgotten. Bank 1 or something lke that.

There was also two Manufacturer specific codes that I had written down but I lost the piece of paper.

Looks like I need to get them rescanned.

Old 02-07-03, 09:32 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Autozone should be able to scan the truck free of charge. Tell us what they find.

Search this Thread