Ford Windstar Catalytic Converter

Old 02-06-03, 11:43 AM
meckleyr
Visiting Guest
Ford Windstar Catalytic Converter

I have a 98 Windstar with 84,000 miles. The "Service Engine Soon" light has come on, and the Ford Dealer told me a need a new catalytic converter to the tune of $2100. Besides being what I consider an outrageous amount of money, I'm not sure it's even worth it. What are my options?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-03, 01:43 PM
NO way

No way that is way out of line for a cat.If thats all it is you can have one installed at a good muffler shop for a couple of hundred maybe less.I would call some muffler shops and see what they charge.2100 NO WAY.

Old 02-06-03, 02:44 PM
This is the dealership, it may be correct. Don't forget, it is all a one piece unit. Normal R&R would be to cut the cat(s) from the pipes and weld/clamp replacements. I don't think this is a single cat system (OBDII).

Old 02-06-03, 06:16 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If the converter is wasted, you'd have to find out what caused it or else the new one will meet the same fate. I suggest you pose that question to the 2100 dollar dealership.

I doubt the converter is the sole problem. Try another Ford dealer and see what they tell you. This one sounds wrong and crooked to me.

No Ford is worth a 2100 catalytic converter