Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

dirty aluminum wheels

02-06-03, 02:09 PM   #1  
dirty aluminum wheels

I have a set of outlaw II aluminum wheels that are really dirty and corroded. Normal cleaners don't help much.
What kind of cleaner/polish will work or what is the best way to shine them by hand or drill etc. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-06-03, 06:24 PM   #2  
Joe_F
If the clearcoat is wasted and they have pitted, not much will save them.

Clean them really good and try Mother's Gold on them. Barring that, time to have them refinished professionally for best results.

Visiting Guest

02-06-03, 06:50 PM   #3  
MTgets
Try this tip:

If and only If the clear coat is gone and the rims are starting to pit, I know of a cleaner that will blow your mind on how good it works.

Go to a heating and cooling company and buy a gallon of condensor coil foaming liquid. It comes in a plastic bottle, not sure of the name, and it is pink in color. HVAC guys use it dump it over aluminum coils and let it soak and fizz and foam then rinse off with water.
My Centerline convo pro HT-30s were getting old and looking dirty and they are a pain to wash with all those ridges, so I said its worth a shot, I sprayed some on and instantly them started to foam and I could see the dirt pouring out of everywhere, when I rinsed the rims, they were brand new again!!!! Then I did the entire inside of my 14 aluminum fishing boat, shiny! no more scum.
I have used it over and over on the same parts for years and never have a problem, but I wouldnt use it on brand new rims, might eat the clearcoat right off, use only on un-coated items.

04-17-03, 10:51 PM   #4  
hey MTgets, I went to buy the pink foamer and the store told me to not use it because of the acid but sold me the yellow foamer and it cleaned them pretty good but they don't look nearly brand new like your's turned out. Should I try the pink?

NJ

04-18-03, 05:09 AM   #5  
Originally posted by wade1
hey MTgets, I went to buy the pink foamer and the store told me to not use it because of the acid but sold me the yellow foamer and it cleaned them pretty good but they don't look nearly brand new like your's turned out. Should I try the pink?
Your wheels are clear coated, I don't think the Centerlines are clear coated. You can't use the really acidic cleaners on the clear coat because it strips it, pits it and turns it yellow. Any type of aluminum polish isn't going to do anything for a clear coated wheel.

If the clear is yellow and pitted, nothing is going to fix it short of removing the clear coat (it can be done) and re-applying it. Some rims are worth it, some aren't.

If you do decide to ditch the wheels, go with a forged & polished aluminum non-clear coated rim next time around. The clear will yellow over time and you have to be careful with cleaners. The non-cleared rims get dingy quicker, but all it takes is some aluminum polish and they come right back up. I use Blue Magic on my Weld Draglites and it's awesome. I've tried lots of other stuff, but the Blue Magic works best. It's also inexpensive, which defies all properties of car care (works good AND is cheap). I have a pair of 11 year-old Draglites that I use for slicks and they look just like the Draglites I bought new last summer.

Good luck,
Jim

Search this Thread