Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Rough acceleration

02-06-03, 03:46 PM   #1  
Rough acceleration

Hi there, hope someone can help with a problem while accelerating.

This is an Australian Ford Falcon, 1994, 4litre auto, injected, straight 6, not V. I know this wasn't marketed in the US, but I'm guessing you probably had a similar model.

Problem is, car starts and runs fine until fully warmed up, say 20 mins. Then, when accelerating normally to go from say 80 - 100 kph (48-60 mph), engine runs VERY rough. Ease up on the pedal and all smooth again. Feels almost like a plug lead has dropped off. (Yes I did check that!)

Any suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-06-03, 06:14 PM   #2  
Joe_F
We don't get any inline 6 models here---only the inline 6 300 4.9L Ford van.

Can't help too much---you give very little maintenance/vehicle history.

Start with the links and posts in my signature file below.

02-06-03, 09:23 PM   #3  
OK some more detail......

130,000 Km (66,000 miles), oil change, oil and fuel filter 8,000 Km back. All belts and hoses replaced 10,000 Km back. Radiator cleaned out to fix overheating problem 10,000 back - Radiator was full of casting sand, of all things!

No action has yet been taken for this problem, except a quick check that nothing had dropped off etc.

I was thinking maybe a blocked injector, but wouldn't that cause it to happen all the time? Everything is fine until it's fully warmed up.

Any advice appreciated.

02-06-03, 10:31 PM   #4  
Here's my 2 cents...sounds like the problem is only when warm and the engine is running in closed loop. Have you pulled any error codes off the computer yet? Are the spark plug wires the original set? I fought a problem for a couple of years on my 91 Merc only to find out the boots on the spark plugs were breaking down after the car warmed up and under load. Changed them with a good set of NAPA wires and problem solved. O2 sensor, fuel pressre and filter, throttle position sensor are a few other areas to check.

Visiting Guest

02-07-03, 05:12 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Could be just about anything---Stevo gave you some good places to start. Do you have a repair manual on the vehicle?

Search this Thread