No Heat

Old 02-06-03, 05:33 PM
No Heat

1989 Ford Mustang, 2.3 Liter. I can not seem to get the engine to heat up to proper operating temperature, nor get any heat from the dash/vents.The car has a new radiator, a new water pump, new thermostat and gasket. The coolant is good to about -25 degrees. I've placed cardboard in from of the radiator for a short time (after the car had already been running 30-40 minutes). The gauge never registered more than 145. I clamped off the upper radiator hose, and the by-pass hose (from water pump to heater core). and still the temperature never rose above 145. The car runs just fine, no codes of any kind.
Any hints are kindly welcome!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-03, 05:50 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Warm up the car. Feel the heater hoses going to the firewall. If both are hot, the problem is the vent door inside the car.

If both are not hot, cooling system issue---new stat is likely defective.

Old 02-06-03, 06:24 PM
I used an check the temp of both heater hoses, and both radiator hoses..all within 4-5 degrees of each other. When the radiator and water pump were replaced, so was the thermostat..Knowing it's possible to get a bad part, it was changed 2 more times. Still no heat, and engine will not get to normal operating temp.
The part that really puzzles me is why it won't heat (engine, not air from dash) to normal or above with the upper radiator hose, and the heater hose clamped off.
Just for info, I was monitoring the temp by the dash guage, and an infrared thermometer...
The temperature door under the dash does have full range of movement. But as the engine won't heat up properly, I put that area on the "rear burner"...