Lincoln Mark VIII Door Locks

Old 02-06-03, 09:51 PM
fstedy
Visiting Guest
Question Lincoln Mark VIII Door Locks

I have a 1997 Mark VIII that has automatic door locks. The error message, right door ajar keep comming up even when the door is tightly closed after it has been opened. The message will cycle on and off ocassionally when the vehicle is driven for several miles then it goes away. The main problem I have with this is the interior lights stay lit after I exit the vehicle when the right door has been opened and closed by a passenger exiting the vehicle. The vehicle has to be driven until the message goes away then I can exit the car via the drivers door and as long as the right door is not opened the lights go out.

What a pain. It ran my battery down until i reailized what was happening.

Your expertise will be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-03, 10:47 PM
I'm not sure on your vehicle but alot of the Ford trucks that have read posts on with similar problems as yours are turning out to be sticky swithes in the door latchs. Ford in its infinite wisdom has moved the dome light switch from the frame around the door to inside the actual latch on the door. It gets full of grease and dirt now. This is the part that is about half way down your door and actually keeps the door latched closed. the fix for this so far has be to spray the heck out of the latch and switch with WD-40 and open and close the door several times to work the lube in. Might be something to check out.

Old 02-06-03, 11:28 PM
Steves on the $

I have a Mark VIII and had problem of the door ajar light going on. It was the switch, You can try to clean it as he suggests or replace it. I just replaced mine, the new one cost $8 and was very easy to change. Door panel on Mark VIII has one screw and then lift up and switch turns and locks-in kind of like a twist bulb.

Larry

Old 02-07-03, 05:10 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Larry and Stevo are right on the money. I agree.