1989 ford van - rough running

Old 02-08-03, 11:59 AM
canevari
Visiting Guest
1989 ford van - rough running

my 89 e150 with a 5.0 V8 and AOD trans stumbles on acceleration when it is cold. As soon as the engine reaches normal temp then every thing is fine. I think it is the emissions control coolant temperature switch. Do you think I'm on the right track? If I am then my next question is where is this switch located? I think I found it at the top rear of the motor where the transmission bolts up - is this the correct location? Thanks in advance for helping out.

Tony Canevari

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-03, 02:08 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A new CTS may help, but you should try to get to the root of the problem rather than changing parts.

Check autolibrary.org below.

Old 02-08-03, 02:22 PM
Try pulling the error codes off the computer also.

Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor

OPERATION
The ECT sensor is located either in the heater supply tube at the rear of the engine, or in the lower intake manifold. The ECT sensor is a thermistor (changes resistance as temperature changes). The sensor detects the temperature of engine coolant and provides a corresponding signal to the PCM. From this signal, the PCM will modify the air/fuel ratio (mixture), idle speed, spark advance, EGR and canister purge control. When the engine coolant is cold, the ECT sensor signal causes the PCM to provide enrichment to the air/fuel ratio for good cold drive-away; as engine coolant warms up, the voltage will drop.