1990 Caravan transmission

Old 02-08-03, 03:30 PM
fixacr
Visiting Guest
1990 Caravan transmission

I had the transmission of my 1990 Caravan re-built about three years ago and it was fine until recently. I didn't notice any problem until one day it started going in and out of gear randomly. The fluid condition and level is good. Are there some things that a mechanically minded person (HVAC contractor) can check without spending $250+? It is the extended cargo van model with 3.3 L engine.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-03, 04:15 PM
Not a whole bunch that we non-transmisions experts can do but the first thing and cheapest is to always change the fluid and filter. The filter may be partially plugged? Here's a link to some service and adjustment checks.

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Chilton...H07_2_IDX.HTML

Old 02-09-03, 07:27 AM
Group Moderator
Agree with Stevo; about the only d-i-y thing on a transmission. You might also take it and have it scanned for codes (AutoZone parts stores will do it for free; check the store locator on their website - www.autozone.com), although 1990 may be too far back for transmission codes. Couldn't hurt and it's free.

Old 02-09-03, 07:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with these guys. Try the fluid and filter first.

Chrysler four speeds like this (I'm sure this model has overdrive) are notorious for failure and are poorly made, so depending on mileage, you may have gotten your money's worth.

If the van is worth keeping, get a Mopar marketed rebuilt---at least you will have a warranty.

I'm sure you can hande the R&R yourself, but it might be a bit inconvenient without a lift.

Search this Thread