Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

remove truck box ?

Visiting Guest

02-08-03, 05:49 PM   #1  
william777
remove truck box ?

I need a truck box for a mazda , the base of the mounting bolts are sealed inside the the box ,If the nut won`t turn because of rust ect and they have to cut them off how do I get new bolts in ? my other thought was building a flat bed ,if I do that are there tail lights available for that purpose, any thoughts will be very helpful, thanks william

Sponsored Links

02-08-03, 06:12 PM   #2  
there is tailights available at most parts store, complete with socket mostly made for trailers but could be adapted for use if you installed a flat bed, im not sure how mazda holds their beds on but most vehicles use a carriage bolt with the square portion just below the head fitting into a square hole in the bed and they can strip out if they are rusted badly but if cut off the remainder of the bolt can usually be knocked out and replaced with a new one.

Visiting Guest

02-08-03, 08:38 PM   #3  
william777
Thanks Begay ,Ill check out the trailer lights and have a go at the getting the box off! William

Visiting Guest

02-09-03, 07:51 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Many body mounts/bolts are screwed into "cage" type weld nuts into the body which can break or yield.

If they broke inside the nut, they have to be extracted.

Visiting Guest

02-09-03, 11:03 PM   #5  
william777
hi joe , I checked out the mounts and they are the cage type you are talking about and they are extremely rusted ,I put a ratchet on with a pipe over top for more leverage and all I did was strip the socket and almost maimed myself, the bolt did not budge ,any ideas as to what I can do without a cutting torch would be helpful ,thanks William

Visiting Guest

02-10-03, 03:49 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Try heating the bolts. They are likely frozen though. Japanese bolts and hardware turn to dust when they get old like that

Search this Thread