Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1994 dodge ram 318 5.2 hissing sound in muffler?

Visiting Guest

02-09-03, 12:59 PM   #1  
ralphluv
1994 dodge ram 318 5.2 hissing sound in muffler?

I have a hissing sound in the muffler and it turns over but when i put it in drive and accelerate it starts to bog out and die it wont move need help?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-09-03, 01:42 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Rap on the muffler with your hand when it's cold. If you hear rattling around in there, the muffler broke down internally and has to be replaced.

Do the same withe the converter.

Visiting Guest

02-09-03, 01:49 PM   #3  
ralphluv
grab it an shook it and no rattling in there i sat in the truck after turn it over its idling bad and when i step on the gas it hesitates and whe ni let go of the gas pedal it shuts off need help and theres still a hissing sound coming from the muffler and i can hear it under the truck also not sure waht can cause it please help thanks

Visiting Guest

02-09-03, 01:58 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Could be a # of things---need more information on vehicle history and maintenance.

Start with the links and posts in my signature file below. At minimum sounds like an exhaust leak and stuffed catalytic converter.

Visiting Guest

02-09-03, 02:06 PM   #5  
ralphluv
Sounds like its choking when i step on the gas. sounds like some one put a air hose and stuck it in the muffler like a sucking noise not sure but i checked the throttle sensor and its ok the M.A.P is ok and the idler air control valve is ok it gets spark and fuel. when i step on the gas i dont get that vrooooom that you get when u step on a V8 it just bogs but will stay idling but once i step on it it dies when i turn it over and hold my hand over the pipe it has pressure but not very strong?

Visiting Guest

02-09-03, 02:13 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Which could be indicative of a clogged catalytic converter.

Again, when was the last time this thing saw a tune up or any maintenance?

Visiting Guest

02-09-03, 02:21 PM   #7  
ralphluv
Thanks for your feedback i hope its the converter i changed the plugs and wires recently, oil, transmission oil, new brakes and new tires i never had a problem since i owned it till now i am the first owner and never had any problems till now. never had to bring it in for mechanical reasons it has 130,000 miles but didnt change a thing since i got it.

Visiting Guest

02-09-03, 04:03 PM   #8  
bigdane
hissing 318

Hi ralphluv

I don't know about the '94 318s, but earlier models had a lousy chainwheel on the camshaft - it was aluminum with some kind of nylon or plastic teeth. Those cam drives sometimes - after 120-160 thousand miles - "cogged" over, disrupting the cam timing.

Your info that you have hardly any pressure at the exhaust in idle might indicate such a problem.

But as I said for starters - I don't know, if Mopar still use that silent chain version of cam drive, so maybe I'm off course here!!

greetings

bigdane

02-09-03, 10:12 PM   #9  
Pull the error codes off the computer. Also drop the exhaust before the muffs and cats and see if it runs correctly. It will be a bit noisy.

Search this Thread