Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1985 2.8 V-6 Dist. Bushings

Visiting Guest

02-09-03, 02:23 PM   #1  
Charles E.
1985 2.8 V-6 Dist. Bushings

Hello Joe F & Knuckles
Tried to let you know the 91 Ford frontend problem worked out just fine thanks to everyons help, the system didn't like my password and it took forever to get a new one I think it was a problem with my system.

Now a new problem. A friend of mine has a 1985 Chevy S-10 Blazer with a 2.8 V-6 engine. We tested the module and pole piece in the distributor. It appears the pole piece is bad. Removed the distributor drove out the dist. shaft which wedged the upper bushing on the dist. shaft. Tried to remove the gunk that had the bushing jammed to no avail. I said "No problem i'll run over to the local chevy dealer parts department and pick up a new set of bushings." While I was gone my friend in an effort to expedite repairs broke the bearing off the shaft. You guessed it Chevy distributor shaft bearings are now an obsolette item (ain't that a kick in the head). Well I have been looking on the internet and I have found no where I can purchase a new bushing. Do you or anyone else for that matter know anyone who still sells dist shaft bushings? I am sure some one still makes them otherwise how would all these parts houses be able to sell rebuilt distributors, which are quite pricey for an old man. Anyway anyone with any advice except what I should have done is welcome to reply. Many thanks in advance for all the wonderful advice from the forum. Thanks Charles E.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-09-03, 02:36 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Charles:

Most times the OEM's obsolete parts like that. No one rebuilds distributors (although this is the "old school" and right way to do it!).

A couple of options:

1) Rebuilt distributor---time wise, this is the best way. A-1 Cardone, ARC Remanufacturing, Crown Remanufacturing, among others do them in the aftermarket. Also, any shortcomings with the OEM unit are corrected by these guys.

2) Ignition Engineering is one company that does components and bits and pieces for rebuilders. Try finding them on google.com They may not sell to the "small guy" directly.

3) Get a junkyard distributor and put all new electrical components on that one. Have the GM dealer tell you what other years use the same distributor as that one. I would guess 1982 to 1985 as they were all carbureted 2.8's.

4) Some parts stores (old time ones) might have access to companies that do bits and pieces for the professional rebuilder/"Old school" guy.

Rebuilding things is a lost art---yes I do my own starters and alternators. I learned from an older guy a few years ago. That's an anamoly for a "young guy" like me (32) to learn and do things the old fashioned way. LOL.

Good luck and let us know.

Visiting Guest

02-09-03, 02:55 PM   #3  
Joe_F
Charles:

The attached URL should give you some ideas, places to try and keep ya busy for a while.

Ignition Engineering is on there for one. Let us know what you find and good luck.

Here is the URL:

http://www.performancemarket.com/ignition.htm

Search this Thread