Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Timing Belt Replacement

Visiting Guest

02-09-03, 02:31 PM   #1  
waleda
Timing Belt Replacement

I just replaced the timing belt on a 1990 Toyota Camry Sedan, 3SFE engine (2.0 liter), manual transmission. It still will not start unless I turn the distributor as far as I can clockwise (had to remove the distributor holddown bolts to get there) and then it runs like it is missing or firing out of order. The chiltons manual says that the #1 cylinder is on the right (back) as facing the engine. According to the other pictures in the book, it appears that #1 is the far left (by timing belt cover). The distibutor was lined up such that #1 was the far left when aligned per the manual. Can anyone tell me which is actually the #1 cylinder and what marking I am supposed to use on the cam shaft timing gear as well. The pictures are not very clear and I am getting more confused.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-09-03, 02:41 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Check autolibrary.org below for a better photo and R&R procedure.

Visiting Guest

02-09-03, 03:00 PM   #3  
waleda
Tried the link to the auto manual. It has great pictures unfortunately they are for the V6 engines and not the 3S-FE.

ME

02-09-03, 03:03 PM   #4  
Hello, as far as the right or left of it, this sounds like an orientation problem. Normally the sides are taken from the drivers perspective, from the books that I have seen. With the timing, it sounds like you are definitely out. It is imperitive that you get this right, or you may be looking at burned valves or worse. Good Luck.

Visiting Guest

02-09-03, 05:51 PM   #5  
Joe_F
Agree with Toni. Check a different year in autolibrary---the 2.0 3SFE was used in various Toyota models including the 1996 and up RAV4 among others.

This is an engine Toyota has kicked around and recycled more times than a coke can .

Search this Thread