Rabbit Trouble

Old 02-06-03, 12:07 PM
ozarkmobile
Visiting Guest
Question Rabbit Trouble

I recently aquired a '82 Volkwagon Rabbit Diesel and can't get it to run, not getting any fuel to the injectors - checked all over for a fuel pump and can't find one. "Chiltons" book says there is one inside the tank.... nope, nothing but the guage sending unit. How does this thing get fuel to the injector pump??

Old 02-06-03, 06:29 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Likely has an inline high pressure pump in an accumulator. Follow the lines out of the tank and see where they lead. Many times, the pump was behind a panel in the wheel well.

This will turn into a viscious money pit if a lot of the diesel system is wasted as the parts are a little harder to get and a bit expensive. Watch out and don't sink too much into these. They are OK cars, but crude and rough.

Old 02-07-03, 08:03 AM
ozarkmobile
Visiting Guest
Done that - followed the lines out of the tank all the way to the water seperator under the hood.... no in-line pump. I'm now thinking that the injector pump must "draw" the fuel from the tank before sending it to the injectors and there must be something wrong with it, but I'm only guessing at this point. As far as expense goes, I can spend a few $$'s on it before I'm "over the edge"..... I got the car for $80.00 (yes, EIGHTY dollars) with 4 good tires, no rust, good glass, moon roof, A/C (if it works when I get the car running) great looking cloth interior, and only one small dent in the rear fender!!

Old 02-07-03, 02:55 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
There has to be a fuel pump. Suggest you consult a service manual or autolibrary.org below for the location.

80 bucks is about 30 too much for one of these . It's a good learning experience for ya though.

Old 02-10-03, 08:31 AM
ozarkmobile
Visiting Guest
Autolibrary was no help, they didn't have a listing for this vehicle so.... called a friend who has friend who runs a shop in FL. that specializes in VW's and quess what - V.W. DID NOT use a fuel pump on this diesel, the injector pump does it all (or is supposed to) however, I seem to have a very common problem and was told that an electric in-line 3# pressure pump would solve the problem (or have the injector pump re-built at a cost much more than the electric pump). After getting all the air out of the fuel lines and injectors, the thing runs great - and the A/C works!! The guy in FL. says that this car should get me 40+ MPG and with fuel prices what they are, I think I'll take my chances with this "crude and rough" little car since I drive 45 miles (one way) to work every day - My Z-71 is MUCH nicer to drive but isn't so easy on gas...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: