Power Windows for 1998 Mystique

Old 02-10-03, 08:53 AM
norbeast1
Visiting Guest
Power Windows for 1998 Mystique

I have a 1998 Mercury Mystique with power windows. I bought it used six months ago and have had continual problems with the power windows. They would go down alright but have a difficult time coming up. They seemed to hestitate and the motor would really work to get them up.

A few months ago the passenger side window wouldn't come up at all and so I had a body shop look at it. They said the power drive regulator had to be replaced as a unit. I didn't have the cash and so I had them put the window up one last time and I don't use that window anymore. Now the same thing has happened to the driver's side window. Obviously I will need to repair it. My question:

1) How difficult will this be to do myself? Is it the type of thing normally done at the shop and not by car owners?

2) I am surprised both windows failed on a fairly new vehicle (at least for me). Is there any info showing this to be a common problem for Mystique owners or is my experience unusual? Any ideas on keeping it from occuring again after it is fixed?

Thanks.

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-03, 09:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I would suggest you have it done. Most of these types of repairs are all day affairs and can get a little daunting depending on your ability. I cannot see it being that much in the long haul versus time and frustration on your part.

As for the failure rate of power windows---it depends. Motors are smaller and lighter these days over the old ones and perhaps are not as heavy duty as they once were .

Search this Thread