Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

water gets into fuel line

02-10-03, 11:45 AM   #1  
water gets into fuel line

OK...

1998 Honda Civic. 90000 miles on it. I've noticed this a few times lately. Usually, on wet (raining not snowing) days or after a car wash, I will start my car or be driving it when the engine will begin to shudder like it isn't getting enough fuel. At this point, I can usually pull off to the side of the road and let it run its course. The engine light will come on but the car will then drive like normal. Eventually the engine light goes off.

I don't know a ton about cars, but I suspect this is water in the fuel lines. I do try to put in fuel injector cleaner every other oil change (I am due). Is my diagnosis accurate? If so, how do I fix it? If not, what am I missing?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-10-03, 12:37 PM   #2  
tstokka
i don't think water is getting into the fuel. also gas that you buy at the pump already has cleaner in it, you don't need to waste your money buying the stuff on the shelf.

As far as your problem, it sounds like your ignition system is getting wet. Probably your coil(s), distributor, plug wires, or spark plugs.

Visiting Guest

02-10-03, 04:09 PM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree. When is the last time this thing was tuned up?

02-11-03, 06:14 AM   #4  
The last major service was done at 60,000 miles. I will hit 100k miles later this year and need to schedule a major service for that. I do my oil changes regularly (though I always just do a basic oil and lube) and try to clean the fuel injectors fairly regularly too. I'm due for an oil change and will probably do both this weekend.

So would a major tune up clean up the problem, or could I just have them clean everything at my next oil change?

Visiting Guest

02-11-03, 10:04 AM   #5  
Joe_F
WAY overdue on a service, so start there.

Cleaning most injectors is futile---just use good quality fuel and do regular maintenance and it will run clean and well for a very long time.

02-13-03, 05:34 AM   #6  
Originally posted by tstokka
i don't think water is getting into the fuel. also gas that you buy at the pump already has cleaner in it, you don't need to waste your money buying the stuff on the shelf.

As far as your problem, it sounds like your ignition system is getting wet. Probably your coil(s), distributor, plug wires, or spark plugs.
Just out of curiousity, how would a regular service prevent this stuff from getting wet?

Visiting Guest

02-13-03, 06:03 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Not sure of your question. If a distributor cap and rotor have a crack in it moisture will be drawn in during damp and wet weather. Electricity and water tend not to mix. This will give a misfire and loss of power.

If it's been 40k since the last tuneup (cap, rotor, wires, plugs, filters, etc), you're way overdue and that's the place to start. It will only boost the MPG of the vehicle and make it run better anyhow.

Tell us what you find after doing a complete tune up. I can tell you I never use any fuel additives in any of my cars and all pass the NYS emissions dyno test on the first try with ease and deliver good performance and fuel economy.

There is no "fix in a can". Regular maintenance is the only thing that keeps a vehicle running trouble free and well in the long haul.

Search this Thread