Brakes grabbing

Old 02-10-03, 03:10 PM
JAllen72
Visiting Guest
Brakes grabbing

My 1996 Dodge Ram half ton 4x4, with automatic and 318, has a brake problem. The front brakes will lock up on slippery roads and on dry roads they pulsate really bad. The right front seems worse than the left. I visually inspected the rotors and they appear smooth, no grooves and there is some pad left on the disc brake, they should be replaced soon though. The rear brakes are drum, and the truck does have ABS. I would replace the pads but something tells me I have another problem, how can I be sure I am fixing the problem of pulsating and grabbing on slippery pavement? I did try braking with just the emergency brake to see if the rear brakes were the problem and the truck slowed nicely, no pulling one way or the other, or grabbing, or pulsating.

Old 02-10-03, 03:48 PM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
if the front brakes are grabbing .i would check the brake lines they could collasping

Old 02-10-03, 04:06 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree, replace the rubber flex lines, bleed it up and see if it improves. Barring that, wasted caliper or something in the ABS perhaps.

Old 02-11-03, 09:56 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
I replaced everything on my '91 beretta, and it now does what yours does. I replaced 140k miles rotors, calipers, lines, that did not pulse or grab. I think it is the cheap ass mexican rotors I got--they prob. need cut down--but I tired of messin with it and just drive it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: