Transfercase gear positions

Old 02-11-03, 06:29 AM
Transfercase gear positions

Perhaps you could help me with this question. I recently purchased from an automotive scrapyard dealer one NP207 Transfercase. This apparently came from a Chevy S10//GM S15, 4wd P/U. I'm wondering what the Gear positions for this transfercase might be. The P/U, apparently was a late 1980's, or early 1990's model. Possible gear positions setup are:
2WD***4WDH(running)***4WDH(lock)***4WDLow, or
2WD***4WDH***Neutral***4WDLow. I wonder if you solve this puzzle for me before I install it in my 1986 Jeep Comanche 4WD P/U. Thanx in Advance, Dugald

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-03, 10:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You should make sure the gearcases are compatible between the two models.

Even though Jeep bought their 2.8 from GM for those years, the transfer case used may differ between a GM installation and a Jeep one---don't assume they are the same.

You need to go back to the junkyard and have them look up what makes and models use a compatible case. The junkyard will use a Hollander interchange manual which will guide them.

Old 02-11-03, 01:52 PM
transfercase inquiry followup

Thanx, Joe, for your quick response to my inquiry. I neglected to advise that I have already removed the original 2.8L Chevy engine, the 3Speed automatic Peugot transmission & the NP228 Transfercase and replaced them with a Chevy 305 Carburated engine and Turbo 350 Transmission. The truck is up & running, but only in 2WD. I have front & rear drive shafts to drop in , once the transfercase is ready, the adapter plate is shortened to accommodate the Turbo 350 & all the components are bolted in place. I am in the process of adapting the 4WD shifter position indicator system from the original Comanche setup, and this is the reason why I need to know the answer to my original question. I hope that this clarifies the reason for my asking this question. Perhaps you could reply to my question as there is no sense in trying to ask the scrap dealer any sensible questions, I swear to God that he seems to be on drugs half the time
Thanx in advance, Dugald

Old 02-11-03, 06:09 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Eeek. Lots of cobbling together there, but an interesting project.

I'd just get a transfer case set up for a regular Chevy V8 full size pickup and adapt that into your vehicle.

You might check Jeep newsgroups and other enthusiast sites to see if you can find someone in your quandary before.

I don't junk cars----they always get sold if and when I do get rid of them and when I send parts cars to the junkyard, they are so useless and stripped, they are only worth scrap .

Old 02-11-03, 07:35 PM

Thanx again for your quick response. The reason that I have resorted to using the NP207 T/C from an S10/S15 is that I needed to have the front driveshaft output on the driver's side.
All my research indicated that transfercases for the full size GM P/U have their front driveshaft output on the passenger side. Consequently, in order to use that type of T/C, I would have to change over the whole front drive system. I have to confess that there isn't much left in the powertrain & drive systems that is original Comanche material, but, I didn't want to mess with the whole bloody frontend assembly. Anyway, I guess I'll shove the transfercase in place and try out the gear positions manually.
Thanx for your help, Dugald

Old 02-11-03, 08:13 PM
The Model 207 transfer case is an aluminum case, chain drive, 4 position unit providing 4wd High and Low ranges, a 2wd High range and a Neutral position. The 207 is a part-time 4wd unit. Range positions are selected by a floor mounted shift lever. DexronŽ II automatic transmission fluid, or equivalent, is usually the recommended lubricant for this unit, though some models may use SAE 80W or SAE-80W-90 GL5. Be sure to check your owners manual to be certain if DexronŽII is correct for your model.

This link shows a picture of the shift patern.
http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Chilton.../85387035L.gif

Old 02-12-03, 06:23 PM

Thanx stevo, Looks like that link is lifted from a Chilton Manual. I have the Haynes Manuals for the Jeep Comanche & the chevy/GM S10/ S15 P/U's, but there is no clear readable drawing of the shifter setup positions for the NP207 in either of these manuals. The drawing in the link you referred me to answers my question.
Thanx very much to you and all for your help.

Dugald