dodge neon whine

Old 02-17-03, 10:16 AM
Jha
Visiting Guest
dodge neon whine

I have a 1998 Dodge neon that has developed a whine coming from under the rear of the car. It sounds like a small tornado siren going off. I can not tell specifically where it is coming from, but it makes the noise either at idle or driving. It also appears to get louder the longer the engine runs. This car has 150,000 miles on it and an automatic trans. Thanks for any ideas.

Old 02-17-03, 11:17 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Good news is it may be something broken loose in exhaust system, Cat. Conv. or muffler baffles. Bad news is warning of transmission failure. I would try to pin point the origin of the noise.

Old 02-17-03, 12:28 PM
Jha
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. I will try to pin point exactly where the noise is coming from. It appears to be coming from the rear therefore I ruled out transmission because it is front wheel drive. Did I rule that out too early?

Old 02-17-03, 01:29 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Possibly. Not knowing how the trans has been maintained.
Fluid changes, etc. 150,000 mi ??
Also, as an afterthought, possibly a noisy fuel pump. I have seen a few that have over a period of miles developed an annoying noise. Be sure car is in Park and Parking brake is locked. I have used a short piece of half inch PVC pipe, hold it against the tank, listen and see if this might be the noise you hear. You really need to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

Old 02-17-03, 01:43 PM
Jha
Visiting Guest
Thanks.. I will check into it tonight and post back tomorrow. I had the fuel pump replaced at 91,000 miles but I suppose it could be time for another. I will try the pvc method. Thanks again..

Old 02-17-03, 02:20 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Swap the tires front to back. If the noise comes to the front, it's tire/wheel related. Could also have bad bearings back there too.

As Darrell said, need more definition on the noise to be able to help.

Old 02-18-03, 06:03 AM
Jha
Visiting Guest
Here is what I have determined so far.. I tried to locate the noise with the pvc pipe but could not exactly pin point it. What I did notice though was that when I turn the ignition on (without starting the engine) I hear the noise for just a moment coming from the same location. It sounds like an huge automatic antenna raising up, but I don't have one. This is what I am thinking. It might possibly be the fuel pump. I would assume that when I turn the ignition on the fuel pump kicks on just enough to get the car started and then runs consistantly while the engine is running.

I don't think that the tires or wheels are the cause because it whines even when the car is not moving.

Thanks for all the replys

Old 02-18-03, 06:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check alldata.com for any bulletins on the fuel pump. What brand was used during the replacement?

Old 02-18-03, 07:14 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Sounds like a noisy fuel pump for sure, Not really un-common.
Elec fuel pumps used to energize thru the switch when cranking, then when engine starts, and Ign swx is returned to run, for safety reasons, the pump runs thru a switch from the oil pressure unit. This may have changed however on later models. I am from the OLD school, Joe can verify for sure if this is correct.

Old 02-18-03, 07:15 AM
GlassesRx
Visiting Guest
Ditto on that fuel pump. I installed an aftermarket brand and it whined like a whistle. It just got louder everytime I accelerated. Try to stay with the original part on that one. Hope this helps.

Old 02-18-03, 09:10 AM
Jha
Visiting Guest
The original fuel pump was replace in Nov 2000 at 91,000 miles. I had the work done at the local Dodge dealer so hopefully they replaced it with an original part and not aftermarket (it was priced like an original!).

Thanks for everyone's input. I feel more comfortable going into the dealer with at least an idea of what I think may be wrong.

I have the part #/kit # off of my old invoice so maybe I can find out about any possible recalls for this pump.

Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: