Transaxle will not shift into Over Drive once it warms up.

Old 02-12-03, 09:20 AM
BigAl_50ca
Visiting Guest
Transaxle will not shift into Over Drive once it warms up.

I have a 1994 Buick Regal (this vehicle has 270,000 KM )with a 4T60-E Trans Axle . My problem is as follows; I can start the vehicle and drive and the transmission will shift from 1 to 2 then 2 to 3 than 3 to Over Drive with no problems. Once the system has warmed up ( about 2 or 3 miles) the transmission will automatically down shift from Over Drive back into 3rd. It never has a problem shifting from 1st to 2nd then 2nd to 3rd at any time, these gears work fine, it will not up shift from 3rd to Over Drive once the systems has warmed up. any suggestions? I really need some help in this one.

Thanks
Al

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-03, 09:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It sounds like a possible overdrive solenoid/kickdown solenoid---a diagnosis best left for a tranny shop.

When was the last time the fluid and filter were changed?

Old 02-13-03, 01:22 PM
BigAl_50ca
Visiting Guest
Hello Joe

I had my son take the car to college today as he is in the automotive program and they dropped the pan off the tranny and the oil was burnt real bad and there was steel shavings all over the pan. My son said the magnet was full and the pan had a lot as well. The auto teacher figures that it over heated due to a gasket leak on the pan and the overdrive gear is shot. Would you probably agree?

I have another tranny with 92,000km on it so he will put that one in.

I await your opinion on this

Thanks Again

Al

Old 02-13-03, 04:13 PM
If the pan gasket leaked bad enough to fry overdrive then the rest of it is fried as well. I am more inclined to think the fluid was never changed… leading to the slow death of the transmission.

That much metal shavings in the pan is quite concerning to me too. I'm wondering if the poor thing just needs rebuilt now.

If the fluid was that bad then it's on the verge of failure anyway (especially with those symptoms and all the metal shavings). Transmissions are frequently neglected... fattening the wallets of the local tranny shops.

I suggest following the recommendations for changing your fluid and filter for the tranny. GM made pretty tough transaxles, but they still need fluid and filter changes.

If you always take your vehicle in for repairs then decide whether you like the car enough to rebuild the tranny... and go from there.

If you do some work on your cars, then flush the fluid and change the filter. Drive it real nice and save up for another transmission. I don't really suggest a power flush for a tranny in this shape. You will likely shorten it's remaining life by loosening chunks of buildup that are in a harmless place.. and depositing them in more harmful places.

If you work on your own vehicles and want to know how to do a home flush, just say so... I get the feeling you don't generally work on your own cars.

Old 02-13-03, 04:17 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree mostly with Jason---that tranny sounds very wasted. Rebuild time. The auto shop would probably do best to rebuild it as a project---it's an excellent way to learn.

Regular fluid and filter changes alleviate most tranny headaches

Old 02-14-03, 04:30 AM
BigAl_50ca
Visiting Guest
Tranny

I have located a used tranny with 45,000 miles on it and will get my son to install it with his uncles help. I am disabled so it is next to impossible for me to do much auto work. I did have a company do a tranny flush 2 years ago(so they said they did).

Thanks for the help in this matter so now to get my son to install it is the next move.

Al

Old 02-14-03, 07:20 AM
4500 miles? Sounds like a good deal to me.

I hope everything works out well for ya. FWD transmissions are a little more involved to change, but it's certainly very possible.

Good luck.