Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1990 cutlass ciera tilt steering column

Visiting Guest

02-12-03, 01:51 PM   #1  
110school
1990 cutlass ciera tilt steering column

My tilt steering column wobbles loosely . I am told it is four bolts, and will not actually fall off or affect the steering as long as I am aware of it. I plan to fix it in about a month, and am told it is just tightening four bolts after removing the steering wheel. Can someone explain the procedure ?? Also, can the bolts become dislodged and cause worse problems ???

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-12-03, 04:03 PM   #2  
Joe_F
No, it's not safe and should be fixed at once. The problem is way down below in the base of the column and is quite tricky and involved to fix. You have to dismantle a good part of the steering column----a good job for a shop unless you have a ton of patience and a lot of good tools, and time. It will take the average DIY-er probably a half of a day (at least) to do.

This is a very common problem with GM columns.

If the vehicle has an airbag, definitey bail out and have it done profesionally.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-13-03, 10:17 PM   #3  
Yep...It is a little involved, for the novice without the proper tools, but can be done. You will need to remove the steering wheel, remove the lock plate (autozone can rent you a lock plate removal tool) and remove the turn signal switch plate. Then, you will see the bolts that are loose...probably torx head bolts. You might take them out and apply blue lock tite on them to keep them from backing out in the future.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread