1990 cutlass ciera tilt steering column

Old 02-12-03, 01:51 PM
110school
Visiting Guest
Question 1990 cutlass ciera tilt steering column

My tilt steering column wobbles loosely . I am told it is four bolts, and will not actually fall off or affect the steering as long as I am aware of it. I plan to fix it in about a month, and am told it is just tightening four bolts after removing the steering wheel. Can someone explain the procedure ?? Also, can the bolts become dislodged and cause worse problems ???

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-03, 04:03 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No, it's not safe and should be fixed at once. The problem is way down below in the base of the column and is quite tricky and involved to fix. You have to dismantle a good part of the steering column----a good job for a shop unless you have a ton of patience and a lot of good tools, and time. It will take the average DIY-er probably a half of a day (at least) to do.

This is a very common problem with GM columns.

If the vehicle has an airbag, definitey bail out and have it done profesionally.

Old 02-13-03, 10:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep...It is a little involved, for the novice without the proper tools, but can be done. You will need to remove the steering wheel, remove the lock plate (autozone can rent you a lock plate removal tool) and remove the turn signal switch plate. Then, you will see the bolts that are loose...probably torx head bolts. You might take them out and apply blue lock tite on them to keep them from backing out in the future.