97 dodge conversion van

Old 02-15-03, 02:46 PM
Snapper6356
Visiting Guest
97 dodge conversion van

My neighbor has 97 dodge conversion van. He bought it used and thinks it was used to tow something.. Two questions. There is a frame mounted hitch. Mounted right on top of the hitch is a round plug. looks like five pins.. the wires run into the same loom as the rear lights.. So i am guesing this a connector for lights?? Second it looks like there was an electric brake controller attached up front. On the engine cover there are some holes where some thing could of been mounted.... there is a wire running from the fuse panel to this area.. Under the dash there is a wire coming from a connector by the brake panel that has an in line type splice with a wire cut off od it.. And finnaly there is a screw with a wire terminal under it mounter to the sheet metal. The ring connector was left but the wire was cut off. So does this sound like how a brake controller would of been hooked up?? If there was a controller, where could I look for the wires running to the back?? I think the hitch was installed by u-haul.. If you need more info just ask and I will do my best to answer them..

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-03, 07:22 PM
Group Moderator
Does sound like trailer hook-up with electric brakes. A standard trailer lighting setup would be 4 wires; the fifth pin would be the brakes.

Is there some reason why this would be a problem?

Old 02-15-03, 08:05 PM
Snapper6356
Visiting Guest
he was just wandering where the connection might be up front so he could add a controller if he ever wanted to.. But even after i studied it i couldn't find any loose wires.. so i was hoping some one might point me in the direction to find the wire..

Thanks

Old 02-15-03, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
Been quite some time since I messed with elec brakes so I'm not sure I can remember the wiring exactly, but the controller would have 3 or 4 wires, I believe: hot, ground, brake signal, and line out to trailer brakes (via the 5-pin connector). I could be way off on that, but at the least it would have to have two wires - one for power in and one for power out to the brakes. Easiest way to figure it out would be to trace it down from the connector. You'll need a voltmeter to figure out which terminals are for brake lights, turn signals, and tail lights. The pins with no voltage would be the ground and the one for the brake controller. Meter the two leftover pins on continuity scale; the one that shows continuity should be the ground and the other one should be the brake controller. That pin should show as "open" since the wires have been cut off.

If you ever decide to rewire for electric trailer brakes, all the info you should need would be included with the controller which you would need to buy.

Old 02-16-03, 01:37 AM
Re: 97 dodge conversion van

Originally posted by Snapper6356
My neighbor has 97 dodge conversion van. He bought it used and thinks it was used to tow something.. Two questions. There is a frame mounted hitch. Mounted right on top of the hitch is a round plug. looks like five pins.. the wires run into the same loom as the rear lights.. So i am guesing this a connector for lights??
Common 5 Pin trailer connector pins as follows:
Left Turn
Right Turn
Tail Lights
Ground
Electric Brakes
Second it looks like there was an electric brake controller attached up front. On the engine cover there are some holes where some thing could of been mounted.... there is a wire running from the fuse panel to this area.. Under the dash there is a wire coming from a connector by the brake panel that has an in line type splice with a wire cut off od it.. And finnaly there is a screw with a wire terminal under it mounter to the sheet metal. The ring connector was left but the wire was cut off. So does this sound like how a brake controller would of been hooked up?? If there was a controller, where could I look for the wires running to the back?? I think the hitch was installed by u-haul.. If you need more info just ask and I will do my best to answer them..
Thanks!!
Common Contoller Wiring
INPUT
1 12 volt power wire(fuse panel?)
1 Ground wire(wire terminal under screw?)
1 Brake light wire(in line splice?)
OUTPUT
1 12 volt power wire coming OUT of the controller that runs back to the trailer connector on the hitch.
All other light and ground wires for the trailer connector are wired in at the rear end of the vehicle.

As suggested previously, a new controller will come with excellant instructions. You may also have to tap into your hydraulic system for some controllers. It is best you find a good RV/trailer sales shop and discuss your needs with them as there are many types of designs and applications. Hope this helps some?

Old 02-16-03, 07:08 AM
Snapper6356
Visiting Guest
Make sure we are on the same page.. The plug is not the same size as a normal round trailer plug.. It is smaller, proably an inch or two??, with five little pins inside.. Looks like you plug in a cable then on the end of that would be the trailer connection.. I guess i will just have to hunt for that pire becaiuse my curiosity is perked , I know that wire is there so i am going to find it.

Thanks..

Old 02-16-03, 09:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yes, you're talking about a trailer/brake controller. The white wire with the ring terminal is usually the ground, but it depends on the set up as mentioned.

There are numerous parts stores with excellent trailer connector products that you can buy if you decide to go back to it.

Sounds like you have a hokey hodge podge of wires just hanging there. Can be a source of trouble .

Old 02-16-03, 06:50 PM
What you might be looking at is a wiring adapter set up that was installed by U-haul or that might be part of a factory trailor wiring harness designed to be plugged into by another wiring harness. Many car manufacturers offer a trailering package that includes an addtional harness in the trunk or rear end. Or the plug may be special to U-haul...there's many different styles of connectors on the market..they all get wired the same. I use 7 pin plugs for all my trailers as they have more wiring options. You may want to contact your Dodge dealer as they might have a set up that plugs right into it, wiring on some of the newer vehicles requires special convertors to prevent feedbacks in the circuit. Whether they are 4,5,6,7 or 9 pin connectors they all have to have some of the same wires in them. Here's a Service Bulletin from Dodge on trailer wiring. This should get you started in the right direction.

Date: Oct. 11, 1996
Models: 1994 - 1997 (BR) Ram Truck

Discussion:

Chrysler Corporation has offered optional trailer tow packages on all 1994 through 1997 Dodge Ram Trucks and has made trailer tow packages available through Mopar for vehicles that were not built with the trailer tow package. Several changes to the trailer tow wiring have occurred since the Dodge Ram Truck was introduced. This bulletin identifies these changes and provides part numbers for the trailer tow wiring harnesses, relays, and flashers. In addition, this bulletin identifies the part numbers for the Mopar trailer tow packages required to adapt trailer wiring to a vehicle that did not have the trailer tow package installed as original equipment from the factory.

TRAILER WIRING IDENTIFICATION

The trailer tow wiring 7-terminal connector (located on the receiver hitch), is configured with the following circuits:

CAV CIRCUIT FUNCTION
1 Z13 12BK GROUND
2 B40 12LB TRAILER TOW ELECTRIC BRAKE OUTPUT
3 L76 12BK/OR TRAILER TOW RELAY OUTPUT
4 A6 12RD/TN FUSED B(+)
5 L63 16DG/RD LEFT REAR TURN SIGNAL
TRAILER TOW
6 L62 16BR/PK RIGHT REAR TURN SIGNAL
CONNECTOR
7 L1 16VT/BK BACK-UP LAMP SWITCH OUTPUT

Some of the circuits of the 7-terminal connector may be somewhat difficult to identify. The following explains those circuits that may be somewhat confusing.

Cavity-2 Trailer Tow Electrical Brake Output

This circuit provides a connection between the trailer tow 7-terminal connector and an electric trailer brake system. An electric trailer brake kit was introduced at the beginning of the 1996 model year. The kit includes an electric trailer brake jumper with unterminated leads, heavy duty flasher, a 7-terminal to 4-terminal adapter, and an instruction card. The instruction card identifies that the trailer brake circuit mating connector is located in the instrument panel near the steering column. This kit is utilized throughout Chrysler Corporation on several different vehicle applications and on the Dodge Ram truck, the mating connector can be located behind the fuse block near the dash panel, not near the steering column as stated by the instruction card.

Cavity-3 Trailer Tow Relay

The trailer tow relay circuit provides a 30 amp circuit (40 amp for 1996 and 1997) to feed the trailer's taillpark lamp circuit. This circuit is connected to fuse 7 in the Power Distribution Center (PDC). The relay is also located inside the PDC. The relay is energized anytime the park lamp switch is turned ON. The park lamp switch provides the necessary current to operate the trailer tow relay coil.

WARNING: IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THE TRAILER TOW RELAY BE UTILIZED WHEN OPERATING THE TAILIPARK LAMPS ON THE TRAILER. THE CURRENT CARRYING CAPACITY OF THE HEADLAMP SWITCH IS LIMITED TO THE LAMPS UTILIZED BY THE VEHICLE ONLY.

Cavity-4 Fused B+

This circuit provides a 30 amp (40 amp for 1996 and 1997) circuit for operating electrical circuits on the trailer. This circuit is connected to fuse 7 in the PDC. This circuit does not contain any isolation device between the 7-terminal connector and the fuse. Current will not be interrupted to this circuit with the ignition switch in the OFF position.

Cavity-1, Cavity-5, Cavity-6, and Cavity-7 are self explanatory.

MOPAR TRAILER TOW PACKAGE

If the Ram Truck does not have the trailer tow package installed at the factory, the truck wiring can be converted so that trailer wiring can be connected to the truck's wiring system. The following trailer tow wiring harnesses are available from Mopar.

82401264 4-Terminal Trailer Tow Wiring Package
82400961 7-Terminal Trailer Tow Wiring Package (1994 All Models and 1994 - 1997 Cab Chassis)
82401265 7-Terminal Trailer Tow Wiring Package (1 995 - 1997 Models except Cab Chassis)
NOTE: - THE 4-TERMINAL TRAILER TOW WIRING PACKAGE SHOULD NOT BE USED WITH TRAILERS THAT HAVE ADDITIONAL RUNNING LIGHTS OTHER THAN THE REAR TAIL/PARK LAMPS.

For additional information regarding Mopars trailer tow packages, refer to the 1996 Mopar Accessories P.A.D. Application Guide & Price List.

TRAILER TOW PACKAGE COMPONENTS AND ACCESSORIES

The following components and accessories can be ordered through Mopar to aid in trailer wiring connections.

82400554 7-terminal trailer wiring connector
82401217 7-terminal to 6-terminal adapter
56019823 7-terminal to 4-terminal adapter
04608650 Trailer Tow Relay (1994 -1996)
04638094 Tra i ler Tow Relay (1997)
02932877 Heavy Duty Flasher
Notes:

Policy: Information Only

From a 1995 issue of the Star Center News:

1994/95 DODGE RAM (BR) TRUCK TRAILER TOWING REQUIREMENTS

Both the factory installed trailer tow harness and the Mopar, Parts trailer tow harness do not require the trailer tow harness overlay kit. The necessary relay is in the PDC when the harness is installed at the factory, and the Mopar Parts trailer tow harness has the relay built into the harness. The overlay kit is erroneously listed in the 1994 New Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel Owners Manual(Publication No. 81-326- 9422), the 1995 Dodge Ram Pickup Truck Owners Manual (Publication No. 81-326- 9522) and also on an addendum card (81-016-9422).