clutch master cylinder

Old 02-15-03, 03:38 PM
lazan2000
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up clutch master cylinder

Thanks for the advice Joe. Actually, I have already checked the master cylinder, in fact I have had a continuous problem with it always going low. According to the Chilton Auto Library book this indicates a leak possibly.
Is this an expensive item to fix and is there something I can check by myself to be sure they are fixing what they only need to and not ripping me off?

Old 02-15-03, 03:48 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Please use the reply button and keep all posts together.

If the clutch reservoir continually depletes, the cylinder is wasted. Replacement time. I suggest you have it done, it can be a bear to bleed.

Old 02-15-03, 05:26 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
are you sure?

Are you sure its the master cyl and not the slave cyl.Both can be a source of a leak.Both are easy to replace.You can find a master cyl leak by rubbing your hand on the carpet were it goes thru the firewall and smell for a brake fluid smell on your hand.

Old 02-15-03, 06:37 PM
lazan2000
Visiting Guest
Cool

In answer to your question, no I am not absolutely sure if it's the slave cyl or master cyl. However, the master cyl has been constantly low, so I assume that is where the leak must be.

Old 02-15-03, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Didn't see your original post, so not sure what kind of car we have here, but I can tell you I've replaced a BUNCH of clutch SLAVE cylinders (Toyotas - about the only thing I've ever worn out in one) and as far as I can remember, never replaced a master (although they do wear out eventually). I think the slave cylinder has a tougher life due to its location being more likely to be subjected to engine/tranny heat.

A leaky slave cylinder will deplete fluid level in master cylinder same as a leak there.

Old 02-15-03, 07:23 PM
lazan2000
Visiting Guest
Where is the slave cylinder located? Can I visually check it? By the way, my car is a 1987 Camry.

Old 02-15-03, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
It will be on the side of the bellhousing (clutch housing). Easiest way to find it would be to locate the hydraulic line coming from the master cylinder and follow it to the slave. Toyota slave cylinders are pretty easy - 2 bolts and the hydraulic line. Can't remember if that's rear wheel or front wheel drive. For front wheel drive, it should be on the left side (looking forward) of the engine (near the starter if I'm not mistaken). Rear wheel drive you will need to look underneath on the left hand side between the transmission and the engine (bellhousing).

You can find additional info by looking here:

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%...delLookup.html

Old 02-16-03, 02:35 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
here is how to check slave cyl

Once you find it pull the rubber dust boot back and have a look for any fluid seep..Use flare wrench to remove the hydraulic line or you might round it off..

Old 02-16-03, 07:51 AM
racer
Visiting Guest
I have a 1995 toyota truck and I had problems with my clutch so I replaced the slave and it didn't help and it turned out to be the master.I started with the slave because it was the cheapest to replace.

Old 02-16-03, 09:26 AM
Group Moderator
Also a little easier to replace.

Old 02-16-03, 09:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Chances are if the master cylinder for the clutch is depleted, it's wasted.

Both are fairly cheap and at this stage of the game should be replaced if one is found at fault.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: