Oil Pan?

Old 02-18-03, 02:37 PM
Sarah_Chan
Visiting Guest
Oil Pan?

Hi,

I have a 92 honda accord ex. When I started my car this morning, I realized that there were some fluid (yellow greenish) dripping from under the car. Could this be the Oil pan? If so, is my car still drivable?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-03, 02:56 PM
eric e2
Visiting Guest
check your radiator

Old 02-18-03, 03:08 PM
Yellowish green fluid is anti-freeze. I see you're in Boston so do check your radiator to make sure there is plenty of antifreeze in it. Just as running an engine too hot can cause serious damage, so can it running too cold.

Is this the first time that you have noticed the fluid? Was it closer to the front of the engine compartment or directly below. I know those may sound like silly questions to you but the answers could help the other's here get a little closer to what the problem may be.

I'm concerned with there being a hole in your radiator or a hose. Watch for posts from the others here to see what their recommendation is since I've from the south and never experience this type freezing weather you are experiencing. It could be something else.

Kay

Old 02-18-03, 03:57 PM
Sarah_Chan
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your quick reply!

Yes, this is the first time I noticed the fluid and I think it's directly below and it's just dripping tiny droplets. I just had an oil change not long ago, I would assume I have all the required fluids including anti-freeze. So, do you think it's still safe to drive?

thanks again for your help!

Old 02-18-03, 04:36 PM
Remember, I'm just venturing a guess since I'm not there to check it out.

There should be a reservoir (excuse misspellings, please) in the engine compartment that is for the radiator overflow. Try not to confuse it with the windshield washer one (has blue fluid in it, or clear if water - which would be frozen if water). On the side it will have readings for how full it should be when hot, and when cold (engine temperature wise - of course its freezing where you are! LOL). If it is full to the cold mark I personally would go ahead and drive it. I am hoping that when they changed the oil that they checked the fluids for you before you left. Mine did yesterday as part of the full service deal. They top fluids off when you get that service. Anyway...am a little chatty tonight...I'm hoping that they may have overfilled it or spilled some into the engine compartment which would eventually drip/run off onto the ground.

If in doubt about driving it, then you may want to wait until you can stop in at a shop to have them check it for you.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help. Its hard sometimes to help with car problems when you aren't right there and can ask questions plus look at the car itself.

Kay

Old 02-18-03, 10:14 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Green is antifreeze. If the cooling system has not seen service in a while, now's the time to avoid trouble and leaks and possible overheating/lose of coolant.

Old 02-19-03, 11:07 AM
Sarah_Chan
Visiting Guest
Looks like the problem went away! I let my car running for almost 15 minutes this morning and there were no sign of leakage. Thanks for all the quick replies!

I do, however, have another question regarding the radiator. Couple months ago my car had a leak somewhere near the engine (don't remember the color of the fluid) and the "Hot and Cold" indicator on my dash board (the one next to the gas indicator) was pointing to "H" (hot) so I had my car towed to the mechanic and he fixed it but I don't recall what the problem was...I am guessing that would be the radiator??

The reason I thought it was the Oil pan is because I was told by the mechanic that I need to get a new oil pan on my next oil change but I still have about 1K miles to go. Should I wait for my next oil change to get a new pan or should I do it soon?

Thanks again!! This is a great forum, I learned a lot!!

Old 02-19-03, 01:34 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
I would surely want a reason as to why you need an oil pan.
This could be a costly project.

Old 02-19-03, 03:16 PM
OIL PAN?

The only reason you would need an oil pan is because of physical damage such has hitting a rock or smashing it on a curb.
Oil pans dont just get replaced because they are old.

Old 02-19-03, 03:21 PM
Sarah,

Do you a knew gasket for your oil pan? Or maybe a drain plug? My shop writes it down on my receipt (all the things they say I need to have or have done LOL). Maybe its on your checklist they gave you?

Kay

Old 02-19-03, 03:21 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
They DO rot out, but it's rare . Michael is 100% right...

Mike: Only other reason is that the bolt area is stripped or wiped out and cannot be repaired properly.

Old 02-19-03, 03:30 PM
Joe,

What do you mean by the bolt area? The bolting the pan to the bottom of the engine or the drain plug?

Thanks,

Kay

Old 02-19-03, 07:52 PM
Sarah_Chan
Visiting Guest
Hi Kay,

I do not have a checklist, my mechanic just told me verbally about the oil pan. I will ask him for the details the next time I visit him. This may have something to do with the fact that I drove into a huge pot hole a month ago. The impact was so great that the center piece of the alloy wheel (driver side) popped right out and was no where to be found, I got a flat right away...it was bad but for some reason, my car didn't need an alignment.

Where is the oil pan located (92 Honda Accord EX)? Is it anywhere near the driver side?

Thanks again!

Sarah

Old 02-19-03, 08:32 PM
Where the oil pan is, I don't know. LOL. Maybe Joe can tell you that one. I can't remember which direction the front of a transverse (front wheel drive) engine sits.

Kay

Old 02-20-03, 03:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yup, you likely crushed it by hitting the pothole and bottoming out.

Kay: It could rot anywhere----Ford trucks are known for this problem. It is rare on most other vehicles though.

Old 02-20-03, 05:23 AM
Joe,

On a transverse engine, doesn't the oil pan and tranny pan sit really close together? By reason of deduction I'm going to say that the 'front' of the engine faces the driver's side?

I didn't know that an oil pan would rot out.

Kay

Old 02-20-03, 05:57 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A couple posts here stated it . Usually when it's hit, it's rotten on the outside and it can rust through.

Again, usually, physical damage is what does them in. I've never replaced one on any of my vehicles .

Old 02-20-03, 06:08 AM
Guess that's why when we would dent up and oil pan he would go ahead and have it replaced. He just said that it could cause problems later so he would replace it to avoid those problems.

The shop said that I had rust on my tranny dipstick. How in the heck do you get rust on a tranny dipstick? I replaced it, but is it going to happen again? Seems like a bandaid to me.

Kay

Old 02-20-03, 06:10 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Moisture perhaps. How's the fluid?

Old 02-20-03, 06:20 AM
I'll be honest. My husband says that I cannot work on this car. I do check the fluid levels, and haven't noticed any difference in smell, looks or feel.

I will take it in next week to have the transmission serviced. Its the $80 deal where they change the fluid, filter, and some other stuff. I don't see moisture or rust anywhere else in the engine compartment, and honestly didn't notice the rust on the stick before. Its a very small spot on the upper part of the stick. The filler tube looks in great shape. I stuck my finger in it just to see and no problems there. Of course, my finger isn't that long LOL.

Kay

Old 02-20-03, 09:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Doesn't sound like any issue to me. A little spot on the upper end of the stick is probably from it sitting around for 6 months at the factory before being installed into the vehicle. LOL.

Regular tranny service on this car (I believe you are talking about a 1990's Taurus), is critical as the trannies in these cars are prone to failure.

Old 02-20-03, 09:43 AM
It is a 1993, and the tranny is on the checklist of things that you told me to watch out for and list of things to keep maintained. I haven't had or noticed any problems with the tranny, and would like to keep it that way as long as possible!

Kay

Old 02-20-03, 12:46 PM
Baldguy
Visiting Guest
I have a 90 Accord EX

I have three cars so bear with me....I think I remember the oil pan on this car on the driver's side with the drain bolt pointing to the rear of the car.

I've had to have the pan gasket replaced, but not the pan...not on any of my many Accords I've owned. The previous poster is correct, the only time you're more than likely needing to replace the pan on this car is when you munch it. Easy to do considering how low to the street this car is.

Keep this car maintained...it will last you long. Mine has $150K on it and drives the same as the day it was new.

Dave