Miss on Cylinder 2

Old 02-19-03, 03:42 PM
Miss on Cylinder 2

I have a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am, 4 cyl., automatic. My service engine light came on and Autozone checked the code. The code shown was a miss on cylinder 2. Where would I start to correct this problem? My first thought is either a bad coil, plug, or injector. Do you agree?

I had a post earlier concerning a rough idle and would assume that these are related.

Thanks,

John

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-03, 05:34 PM
any of those things could be causing the problem or even a vacum leak an intake gasket leaking could cause the cylinder to misfire more so at lower rpm, also a cylinder with low compression could cause a misfire code there is alot of things that can cause this code, you said you notice a rough idle do you ever notice it missing off idle such as when accelerating, cause usually anything ignition related will be more likely to miss under a load, if you only notice a miss at idle i would suggest you start by replacing the sparkplugs and while you have the plugs out do a compression test on each cylinder, if compression is ok , might check for vacum leaks around intake gasket.

Old 02-19-03, 06:34 PM
DANG! Head gasket? I shudder. I only notice the miss at idle. I listened for a vacuum leak with a stethoscope. Didn't find one. Is there a better way of finding a vacuum leak? I noticed that there's no diagrams for chasing the vacuum lines down. I thought about the plugs, I just thought that the platinum type plugs were good for 100,000. I have 60,000 miles.

Thanks,

John

Old 02-19-03, 06:59 PM
you can use a can of carb cleaner to check for a vacum leak at the intake but you may want to have a fire extiguisher handy just incase, those 100,000 mile plugs dont always last as long as they are supposed to worth looking at them anyway, and doing a compression test, to determine if number 2 cylinder is low, compression should be within 20 psi of each other, once a cylinder gets near or just below 100 psi it can start missing at lower rpm. there is not very many vacum lines on this car and i doubt it would be a vacum line causing a miss, but an injector oring or intake gasket on #2 intake runner, would so that is where you would really want to check for a leak with carb cleaner.

Old 02-20-03, 03:41 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with BeJay. If you do not have the wiring diagrams and test procedures, a 25 dollar Alldata.com subscription (If autolibrary.org doesn't cover it) would be a great help to you.

Old 02-20-03, 05:30 AM
Thanks for the help. Looks like I'll have something to do this weekend.

John