best towing method for VW Vanagon

Old 02-20-03, 05:13 PM
daryj
Visiting Guest
best towing method for VW Vanagon

(This one should be easy for The_Tow_Guy) I have a 84 VW Vanagon and the head gasket finally gave way in one cylinder. I was wondering what would be the best way to tow it back home. It has the engine in the rear hence "true" rear-wheel drive. Would it be better to have a flatbed or a regular tow truck? If it's the regular truck is better should I have them tow from the rear or would it matter? I know some of the answers to these questions, just thought it would helpful for more opinions. It's just a 5mi. local tow. (I would drive it back home, but people just don't appreciate being behind a smelly fog machine LoL.)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-03, 03:26 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Flatbed is always the best---prevents any kind of damage.

If it's going to be towed by "sling shot" or wheel lift, the rear wheels should be off the ground---remember the tranny fluid is not being circulated when the engine is off .

Old 02-21-03, 04:48 AM
Group Moderator
And Toyotas are WAY better than Pontiacs, so there. LMAO.

Wheel lift or flatbed, but check on cost because some tow companies will charge extra if you REQUEST flatbed for a vehicle that does not REQUIRE it (AWD, for instance). Also you might want to consider the vehicle location that the driver will have to pick up from, since the flatbed takes up more real estate to operate. Joe's right on tow from rear if wheel-lifting; I'm assuming it's automatic. For a stick you could probably tow it from front in neutral (I would have to check our tow book; not even sure if they put sticks in Vanagons), but the safe way is always with drive wheels off the ground.

Old 02-21-03, 05:30 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ahem, Pontiacs are driven, not towed. LOL

Old 02-21-03, 09:05 AM
Group Moderator
Hey, that would make a good slogan, "Pontiac......We arrrrre DRIV-en!" Oh wait, been done already - TOYOTA, LOL.

Old 02-21-03, 09:27 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I've always liked the motto that showed up with my 1979 10th Anniversary in its only advertisement (which I have in my scrapbook):

"Very Rare, Very Well Done" .

Old 02-21-03, 05:43 PM
daryj
Visiting Guest
I appreciate the advice (and humor ). I prob. will have it wheel lift towed since $ is tight. Also, to The_Tow_Guy, yes, they do make Vanagons with stick shift and are actually more common than automatics (from what I know of).

Old 02-22-03, 04:47 AM
Group Moderator
I thought there probably were stick versions; think I've towed a total of 3 Vanagons in the last four years and it's probably been a year since the last one. Not a common vehicle on the road (around here at least).

If you happen to think of it later, post back on what your tow bill comes to; interested what tow companies are getting in other parts of the country (would cost you $36 with us for up to 5 mi).