Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

92 Taurus with transmission problems

Visiting Guest

02-20-03, 05:35 PM   #1  
daryj
92 Taurus with transmission problems

I need some responses in 'print' for my Dad. (After reading this column enough, I pretty much know the answer myself!) I have a 1992 Ford Taurus 3.0L Automatic 150K+ mi. with slipping transmission problems. It mainly has problems on initial acceleration and does fine on upper gears. It does the worse in very cold and very hot climate conditions. I don't know what the previous owners did for its preventive maintenance but it prob. wasn't great. It does the worse in very cold and very hot climate conditions. I changed the transmission fluid and filter several months after we got the car and the problems almost went away for about 36 hours. When I changed the fluid there was a thin 'metallic' film on the pan and the accessible parts of the transmission. My questions are these: Would tightening the bands help at all and would those 'deals' the transmission shops offer in flyers do any good and would changing the fluid/filter a few times in a row help? The car runs great and the transmission doesn't seem to be acting much worse.

Sponsored Links

02-20-03, 08:10 PM   #2  
most of the shifting which occurs in an automatic transmission is controlled by clutch packs wich are not adjustable, the band does have an adjustment but is only used in second gear on a 3 speed transmission and likely not going to help your problem, it sounds like its time to rebuild your transmission or replace it.

Visiting Guest

02-21-03, 03:31 AM   #3  
Joe_F
150k on a first generation Taurus tranny-----you got your money's worth.

They are prone to failure at about half that mileage. Likely rebuild time .

Group Moderator

FL

02-21-03, 04:36 AM   #4  
And lots of them have failed at one THIRD that mileage. Taurus's and Sables are our #1 car that gets towed to tranny shops, many with failures in the 40,000-80,000 mile range. The tranny in my Dad's '93 Sable failed with less than 40,000 miles on it. The good news is yours is a 3.0L and not the 3.8L which you may remember from previous comments here as a gasket-blowing leaker. The bad news is your only option is likely a tranny rebuild ($$$), because chances of finding a used one (especially a GOOD used one) are practically nil. I can probably put my hands on a half dozen right now sitting at various shops with good engines and bodies but blown trannies.

Visiting Guest

02-21-03, 05:23 PM   #5  
daryj
Thanks for the info. Do you any of you think that it could continue on for quite a while longer (given, of course, that I treat it kindly in driving and frequently change the fluid/filter)? I noticed that the majority of its problems actually occur when shifting from 2nd to 3rd (basically the middle gears, I'm lousy at guessing auto. trans. gears). It does fine on hard acceleration (like entering a major highway), but (last time I checked, haven't since then) it made a clunking jolt while driving with O/D. If it is on its rapidly pending doom, what 'new' symptoms should I start seeing (if any)?

Visiting Guest

02-21-03, 06:38 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Since it is a 3.0L, it doesn't have head gasket woes.

I would drive it till it pukes and then pitch it. If you are really attached to it , then get the tranny rebuilt or go to Ford and buy an FQR rebuilt (worth more than the car probably).

Group Moderator

FL

02-22-03, 04:55 AM   #7  
I'm with Joe. The good news is apparently they seem to last fairly well after having been rebuilt. There were some original parts that were substandard, but once they're replaced they do okay. Bad news is, like Joe says, you can easily spend more than car is worth. My Dad's Sable, that my brother now owns, had its tranny done in late '99 and still working fine, but it WAS an expensive proposition.

02-23-03, 03:07 PM   #8  
The transmission in your car is an called an AXOD and does not have adjustable bands,there controlled by whats called servos,which is basically a fluid controlled piston.More then likely as mentioned it's probably time for an overhaul,which can be expensive.Or you might opt for a remanufactured unit which i prefer due to the warranty advantages.is the car worth it? that's a question you'll have to answer!! You might have a reputable transmission shop take a look at it.Sometimes a vehicle speed sensor or tv(throttle valve) cable can cause these symptoms.

Search this Thread