Cavalier AC

Old 02-20-03, 06:57 PM
CharlieVee
Visiting Guest
Cavalier AC

Hello. I have a 1996 Chevy Cavalier with a 2.2l engine.

My A/C has quit. No big deal now cus it is winter in Houston. But in a month, I will be miserable!

I am pretty sure I see the problem. There is a metal tube that goes on the top of the engine. It has a fitting in the middle. This fitting shows an obvious sign of leakage of refridgerant as it is stained with yellow/green liquid.

My question, how dificult would it be to replace this tube or fitting myself?

I can send picture if it will help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-03, 07:37 PM
suggest taking to shop and having checked for leaks and to be repaired, im not sure if what you are talking about is even an ac component it could be a engine coolant line, which would explain the yellow greenish color, alot of shops add dye to the a/c system that is usually a flourecent green in color and will glow under a black light to help them detect a leak, they add this dye to the service fitting which should have a plastic cap that screws onto the fitting, so it is possible a shop had serviced the a/c and added the dye which you may be seeing, if dye hasnt never been added any leakage from the a/c system will be colorless.
the a/c system is not a repair anyone can do , without alot of expensive equipment used for reclaiming and pulling a vacum on the system to remove moisture, plus leak detection equipment and manifold guages to test system performance.

Old 02-21-03, 03:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with BeJay.