Rear Brakes '00 dakota

Old 02-21-03, 05:41 AM
Rear Brakes '00 dakota

2000 dakota SLT, 4WD, 4.7L V8, 9 inch drums in rear. Has anyone worked on the brakes of this vehicle before? They have a weird configuration with a cable and spring to hold the adjusting lever against the star-wheel. The problem I'm having is the adjusting lever isn't being held against the star wheel, and I'm concerned that my brakes aren't self-adjusting properly. The cable is supposed to go around this elbow shaped bracket, and that bracket is supposed to "sit" in one of the holes on the shoe, but I can't get the bracket to "stay put". . .it keeps slipping out of that hole in the shoe, which releases the tension on the cable. Does anyone know what I'm talking about??

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-03, 09:28 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What does the service manual have to say?

Old 02-21-03, 02:04 PM
Service manual

Service manual? If you're talking about chilton, last I looked they didn't have one available yet for 2000 dakota's. And Haynes has one for 2000 full size dodges, but their section on rear brakes discusses the old configuration (the one I'm used to working with). . the adjusting lever is held against the star wheel by a spring between the lever and the shoe. .

Old 02-21-03, 06:59 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Umm, the Chrysler manual, or at MINIMUM a $25.00 yearly alldata.com subscription which should have illustrations. Can also check autolibrary.org below.

Brakes are not something to gamble with. The Haynes manual is inferior in most cases.

Old 02-22-03, 06:02 PM
making progress

Okay, a buddy of mine picked up a chilton manual for brakes between 90 and '00 Nice find, but it didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know or figure out. . .

I did take them apart and put them back together. . this time I held the cable guide in place with some wide vice grips (could also use a c-clamp) until I got the shoe return spring in place. I found out what the root of the problem is though. . The backing plate is WARPED!. . . god only knows how that happened. I figure it was warped before I owned the truck though. . .and my warranty is surely 6-feet under by now.

so I found a backing plate for 70 bucks at dodge-auto-parts-dealer.com. My question is, if I tackle this myself I believe I'll have to remove the hub, and axle. If this is correct does anyone know for sure if there is a lock pin, in the rear differential??? I looked in the haynes manual we have for full size dodges, and it shows a lock pin there, but after this fiasco, I dont' know if dakota's are configured the same.

Old 02-22-03, 06:03 PM
one more thing

oh yea, and what am I likely to pay if I take this to the dealer to repair?

Old 02-23-03, 01:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Depends on the dealer's labor and parts charges. Most are upwards of 75 an hour.

Old 02-23-03, 02:58 AM
As Joe mentioned you might want to try www.alldatadiy.com for a 1 year online service manual subscription. For $25 it's a steal and if you add addtional vehicles they are only $15 each. You can take a DEMO at there site to see how it works, its probably the best site for us do it yourselfers..I have at least 10 subscriptions there and am very happy with them. Thats in addition to about a zillion service manuals and CD's here at the house. They even have many of the factory diagrams there and all the pertinent Service Bulletins for your truck and the site is continually updated. The other place for some info might be http://www.dodgedakotas.com