Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

"DuraLube" Engine Treatment

Visiting Guest

02-22-03, 07:05 PM   #1  
vangbee
"DuraLube" Engine Treatment

94 Chevy K2500, 5.7L 350 V8.

After I put in a bottle of Duralube into my engine of last year it started making a tapping sound and the oil gauge would drop to the red line and would not go up. After the tapping starts I would not have any engine power.

Since then the tapping has disappeared somewhat, but he oil gauge still drops real close to the red line and would go up when rpm is increased. Did the engine treatment ruin my engine?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-23-03, 01:46 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Why you'd use that stuff is beyond me. There is no fix in a can.

Frequent maintenance will keep a vehicle running well for a long time---goo in a can will not.

You may want to change the sending unit and see where that nets you. If nothing, do an oil pressure check with a handheld gauge.

Visiting Guest

02-24-03, 12:09 AM   #3  
als206
there is a guarentee on the box that states if it dont improve engine performance that duralube will pay the expence I'd check that out, you might get a new engine but be sure to check the info on the box to be sure.
Al

Visiting Guest

02-24-03, 03:39 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Counterman Magazine did a special on additives about a month ago.

The general consensus? There is no mechanic in a can. If it's shot, it's shot. Period .

02-24-03, 07:27 PM   #5  
I have used that stuff on 2 of my cars so far.

It has never caused me any problems.

Visiting Guest

02-25-03, 03:27 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Lol. True. But it also hasn't done anything either .

I was talking to my long time mechanic friend in Portland, OR and we had a laugh at this.

He had a good one. The customers ask him, "Do you have that machine that tells you what is wrong with the car in five minutes by plugging it in?"

He said, "Well, I don't get plugged in sir, but I'm that machine" LOL.

Visiting Guest

03-08-03, 07:33 PM   #7  
vangbee
Thanks everyone

Your replies are greatly taken into consideration and greatly appreciated. First off, I will probably change the sending unit.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

03-08-03, 09:39 PM   #8  
The only two additives I would recommend is diesel fuel treatment for cold climates, and injector cleaner. As for your problem it could be a whole assortment of things, as mentioned I would start with the sending unit. My next guess would be oil starvation, with the most likely cause being the oil pump. I am guess the additive damaged your oil sending system some how.

Visiting Guest

03-10-03, 05:04 PM   #9  
Oil Doc
Motor Up, Prolong, Dura Lube, Slick 50, STP, Valvoline and most of the rest have been sued by the FTC for false advertising. That is why they are not on TV anymore.

Vehicles with Hydraulic lifters CANNOT pull in to a service station and not be clattering and will bearly be running !!

Consumer reports tested that one. Two identical cars, one treated, one not. Drained the oil, they each went 13 some odd miles and seized up.

Some of the products use a chlorinated additive which vaporizes and not only causes sludge but corrosion in the engine. The Military found this out many, many years ago and quit using chlorinated products. Others use Teflon (PLASTIC !!) and engines have been lost due to the Teflon building up and clogging an oil passage.

Don't be fooled by the "Bearing Load Test" where they pull down on a lever to see the scoring of the bearing. We call the machine a "One Armed Bandit" I have one. It is used for testing EP (Extreme Pressure) additives in gear lubes, not engine oil and is totally inaccurate in any case. No certified tests can be performed where the human hand is used!

Top Line engine oils (and there are few) are tested with Knoack Volatility, Four Ball Wear Tests, TBN (Total Base Number), Flash Point and Fire Point are the big ones. Only 1 out of 5 Oils in the US meet the requirements that they list on the label. The Cheaper the price, the better the chance of the oil not meeting what they say.

I could go on and on but I'll stop now. Additives DON'T WORK !!

Oil Doc

Visiting Guest

03-10-03, 08:04 PM   #10  
Joe_F
Agree. No need for anything but oil and a filter, and regular changes of the same .

03-11-03, 01:18 AM   #11  
Did anyone see the oil test in consumer reports other than me? And if so what did you think about it?

Visiting Guest

03-11-03, 03:25 AM   #12  
Joe_F
A CR report would only be icing on the cake. It says explicitly in most owner's manuals "Additives are not necessary. If you need to use additives, talk to you _______(fill in name) dealer".

Search this Thread