1997 Ponitac Trans Sport

Old 02-23-03, 09:02 AM
beanies
Visiting Guest
1997 Ponitac Trans Sport

Hello,

Does anyone know of any Recalls for this van. We are having tranny problems and it only has 80,000 kms on it. Just curious if anyone knows anything that we don't.We just purchased the van in November and now we may be on the hook for about $3000.00.

Old 02-23-03, 10:06 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No recalls, but quite a few bulletins. What is the actual problem, and where did you buy the vehicle, what kind of warranty, etc.

This is the thing with front wheel drive vehicles. Major repairs soak you due to labor and difficulty of service. Makes me love my old rear drivers even more .

Check alldata.com for more information on the specific bulletins.

Old 02-23-03, 06:47 PM
beanies
Visiting Guest
Trans Sport

I was driving it the other day and even though my foot was on the gas pedal the van started slowing down. I brought the van right home. When my hubby got home he checked the van and when it's in park it wants to go forward. Someone said that it sounds like a linkage problem. There was no warranty as the van is 6 years old and we couldn't even buy extended because of its age. The dealer is basically saying "too bad" and that we are on our own. I understand buyer beware, but this is crazy. Even when the van is in reverse it won't move.

Old 02-24-03, 03:41 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I believe there is a bulletin to that effect in the alldata.com link I mentioned, so check it out and tell us what comes of it when you show it to the dealer or shop doing the work.

Old 03-04-03, 09:21 PM
beanies
Visiting Guest
Trans Sport

Hello,

Well it was the Transmission, the tranny shop said it was toast. Now that I am $3200.00 in the hole, for a van I have only made 3 payments on. We went back to the dealer, {who pardon my language is a jerk} he told us to pound sand and that we are on our own. He wouldn't even entertain us by listening to us. Our only other option is to take him to small claims ourt and try to sue for some of the money back, but I doubt we'd get very far. I am ready to post a sign on my van advertising not to buy a vehicle there because of this incident, I don't want to ssee anyone else get shafted by this dealership.But my luck he would sue me for slander and I would end up paying him more money...What to do.Thanks for your time I appreciate it.

Bridgette

Old 03-05-03, 10:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Definitely take him to court. However, depending on Canadian law, you may or may not win.

A couple of things to do:

1) If you feel you were sold a lemon, speak to the dealership owner, not a salesperson to resolve it. If they refuse...

2) Tell them you plan to possibly sue or contact the Better Business Bureau (or it's Canadian equal) to complain about them.

3) Call your local news channel/TV station and explain. They love fodder like this and when they ask for the dealer's comments, they will not like the embarrassment.

4) Seek the help of a lawyer. A lawyer that works contingent on you winning the case is probably the best kind. Make sure you have all documentation (in writing) as well as records of any phone calls or other correspondence about this issue.

I think if you exercise one of these options and are persistent you'll get somewhere.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: