Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

'97 Windstar rough initial idle at start

WI

02-24-03, 04:30 AM   #1  
'97 Windstar rough initial idle at start

Posting for my father-in-law. This is an '97 Winstar with the 3.8L with 122k. At 80k the van developed a rough idle (intermittent) when it was started. It would chug/miss/sputter at 800 rpm. If you gave it gas slowly it ran smoother above 2000rpm. It does this for a few minutes and then runs good. The van was "tuned up" by a shop at 100k (plugs,wires,air fil, fuel filter, (1) O2 sensor) but continued to run rough when started. I have not noticed any unusual (black/white/blue) exhaust from the tailpipe. I don't believe it's a head gasket, haven't done compression or leak down...

My thought is a leaking injector flooding the manifold, but I haven't tested for a loss of fuel pressure yet. I think the van has another O2 that wasn't replaced but I didn't think it would cause this problem. There is NO service light on. I was posting to get some other opinions/ideas. Also, if I find that the fuel pressure is bleeding off when the van is turned off, is there a way to determine which injector(s) might be leaking.

Thanks for any help,

Steve H.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-24-03, 05:54 AM   #2  
Joe_F
You're on the right track---do the tests/investigate what you posted here. They are part of the basics to determine what might be wrong.

Pull any trouble codes even if the light is not on---codes may be stored which will tell you where the problem might be. Also, a coolant leak doesn't have to have smoke to be a problem. It could be the cause of the misfire as well.

122k is borrowed time on a 3.8L, so keep that in the back of your mind too.

Also, you can use autolibrary.org below as a reference for what to test and how.

Search this Thread