Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

No problem just a question

Visiting Guest

02-24-03, 09:15 AM   #1  
jd123
No problem just a question

As far as idle problems caused by vacuum leaks on GM OBD1 vehicles. Aren't high idles associated with speed density systems and low idles associated with maf systems? thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-24-03, 09:57 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Depends on the vehicle, problem, condition, etc?

What is the actual vehicle or problem/question? Usually if you squirt something flammable (go easy) on the offending area, you will hear the idle pick up when and if there is a leak.

Visiting Guest

02-24-03, 11:55 AM   #3  
jd123
no problem

I had a friend ask me how to hook-up a vacuum gauge on his engine. I had a similar engine, hooked it up on mine, and relayed the info to him. Mine was an 88 chevy 2.8L vin W mfi. The line I tapped had good vacuum at idle, had no effect on idle if left disconnected, did not turn on CEL, did not set a code. I just thought it was weird, that a big vacuum leak didn't effect idle. My understanding is a high idle caused by vac line leak is only associated with speed density systems. the same problem on a maf system would cause low idle, or so I understand. I've never seen a maf system cause high idle because of a vac line leak? I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the subject?

Search this Thread