can't get hood open

Old 02-25-03, 06:55 AM
can't get hood open

I have a 94 Olds Cutlass Supreme and I can't get the hood open. I think the cable is stretched and is not opening the hood from inside the car. Can I use some channel lock pliers or vice grips on the cable and yank on it without destroying something? Or do you have any other ideas?

I already tried opening it from the grille and also from underneath the radiator with no success.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-03, 08:33 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have someone bang on the hood while you pull the release. It should pop up. Clean and adjust/replace parts as needed to restore it to proper operation with the release.

Old 02-25-03, 08:49 AM
joe

I have tried that with no luck. I'll try it again. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Old 02-25-03, 09:05 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Pull on the cable with a pliers as you said earlier. Try to go as close to the latch as you can in case the cable is stretched.

Old 02-26-03, 09:22 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
On my last car with a hood that would not open--I took a die grinder and cut a 4x4 square hole in the hood right above the latch mechanism--boom--instant access!

Old 02-26-03, 09:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
That's Redneck for ya . LOL

Old 02-26-03, 11:19 PM
Again have someone push down hard on the hood while you pull the cable with some vice grips. Once you pull on the cable then try to bounce the hood and if you can move the hood slightly to the left and right. Can you get any spray lube up into the latch mechanism?

Old 02-27-03, 05:34 AM
thanks for the advice. i haven't tried anything yet because it is way too cold! i'll try soon and i'll try all that you suggested.

Old 02-27-03, 11:32 AM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
hey joe dont talk about us rednecks i got a 77 ford f-250 couldnt get the hood open so i cut a hole in it also but i had a another hood for it anyway

Old 02-27-03, 01:23 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. His HANDLE here is Redneck .

I've never had to cut a hood apart Fordman. I have always gotten them open, even smashed up ones. There are ways to do this with out getting extreme !

Old 02-27-03, 03:37 PM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
yea i like the old saying it blows or goes