1997 GMC 7.4L Distributor cap

Old 02-27-03, 04:41 AM
joransin
Visiting Guest
Question 1997 GMC 7.4L Distributor cap

I am attempting to change the distributor cap on my 1997 GMC 7.4L engine. I have accessed the cap by moving the wiring harness, but I cannot access the 2 #20 torx screws to remove the cap! Do these screws take a special tool? I cannot get to the "front" screw because of the air intake manifold...stumped!

Old 02-27-03, 09:21 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Do the screws have wrench flats that you could use a small combination wrench to get into?

Old 02-27-03, 01:58 PM
joransin
Visiting Guest
97 GMC Distributor cap

No. They are a round head with #20 torx centers. I can get to the rear most screw, but the Vortec aluminum intake obstructs getting to the forward screw!

Old 02-27-03, 04:00 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have a look at the aftermarket caps. If they have different wrench flats or ways to tighten it, you could always bust the old cap by breaking it and then you can get a vice grip on the screw to take it out.

A little extreme, but it might work in a pinch. What does your service manual say on the cap removal?

Old 02-28-03, 08:26 AM
joransin
Visiting Guest
97 GMC Distributor Cap

The Chilton manual I have says that I should be able to access both with a common torx tip on the end of a nut driver type tool.
I say, impossible!!!! and I had been a marine technician for 13 years!!! But thanks for the input! I guess I am dealer bound!

Old 02-28-03, 09:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Did you have a look in autolibrary.org to see what that says?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: