'94 Jeep With Bad Ignition Switch

Old 02-27-03, 06:47 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
'94 Jeep With Bad Ignition Switch

I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 4.0 liter engine and about 90,000 miles. Car was starting fine. I tried to start the car after a trip to a Sam's Club and the car would not start or turnover at all. The Sam's service tech tried a new battery for me and it made no difference, but I noticed the ignition switch felt "soft" and had a dead spot in it. I pulled the switch out and the lock cylinder feels very funny, but I am not sure. Is there a good way to test the ignition switch and/or the lock cylinder?

Old 02-27-03, 09:35 PM
B
if you removed the ignition switch try starting it with a screwdriver if it starts you know the problem is elsewhere, while you have access you should remove the key and tumbler and look for any broken pieces sometimes the corners break off which does not allow the tumbler to engage the ignition switch fully to the start position, you can also check the electrical part of the switch with a test light and wiring diagram showing ignition switch and which wires should have power at the different key settings. you can check the link below and see if they have a wiring diagram, and for switch and tumbler removal.
http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%...delLookup.html

Old 02-27-03, 09:37 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree with BeJay.

Old 03-01-03, 10:51 AM
E
bejay,

You hit that one right on. I pulled the lock cylinder out of the ignition switch and piece of a round flange had broken off. I picked up a new one at the dealership and I am back and running. Did not have to change the ignition switch. Two notes for whoever is interested - a new lock cylinder for this Jeep comes "uncoded" and in pieces. The parts guy at the dealership was nice enough to set the tumblers for me after I pleaded complete ignorance. Also when removing the old lock cylinder, the manual states to push in the retaining pin. It is much easier to remove it and reuse on the new lock as the Mopar kit does not include a new one. Thank again.

Old 03-01-03, 04:37 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
To my recollection, you can buy them coded at a locksmith as well. Strattec is the company that supplies Chrysler with their locks---most locksmiths handle their line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: