1996 Vw Golf

Old 02-27-03, 07:19 PM
1996 Vw Golf

I am having a problem with my 1996, 4cylinder, manual transmission golf gl. Last week after driving in heavy rain it would not start the next day. After the sun came out it started fine. This week after sitting through snow and rain all night and most of the day it once again would not start. Turns over fine, but will not catch. Again, I have not moved it since the rain/snow began. The plugs were changed approx. four monlhs ago. Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-03, 09:41 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check for frayed/bad ignition wires. When was the last time the vehicle saw a tuneup or any maintenance?

There have been reports of problems with some VW ignition coils, but I believe they are later model years. Seems that the coils VW installs aren't worth a wooden nickel and are failure prone.

My sister's 2000 Jetta 2.0 with under 25k on the clock blew the head gasket and cracked the head! VW's are piss poor quality in most cases and you get Mexican quality/assembly at German/European prices!

Old 02-28-03, 05:36 AM
Hey! Be nice to the VWs! My 94 Jetta has 126,000+ on the clock and is still going strong...

It's probably an ignition issue. Check the wires and check the distributor cap. A small crack in the cap or wires will cause enough spark leak to give you a major headache.

Also, check the coil ground wire. That's the wire the runs from the ignition coil (mountedon the driver's side of the firewall) to the valve cover gasket. Sometimes, this wire can fray or the ground on the valve cover gets dirty.

Old 03-02-03, 07:58 PM
1996 VW Golf

I appreciate the help on my car. I found by accident that it was the ignition coil. I was fooling around with the wire going to the coil when I noticed bubbles coming from a pin hole in the coil,so I took the wire off and dried t he coil inside as much as possible, tdhen afte awhilel it started up, but then I noticed tiny sparks coming from ANOTHER pin hole. I have a coil on order now, but MAN, those things are HIGH, HIGH, HIGH!!! Meantime, I wrapped the coil with electrical and duck tape tdo keep the mosture out, and so far I have not had a problem with it starting.

Old 03-03-03, 03:51 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
As I said, not worth a wooden nickel .

My sister's 2000 VW Jetta was just into the dealer for more warranty problems last week and guess what was bad? The coil .

Not only that, it blew the head gasket at 15k!! What a heap

Fortunately after some wrangling with the dealer, she got them to pay for it all, but I told her drive that thing for a few years and pitch it.