Radiator leak

Old 03-01-03, 11:13 AM
crosswind
Visiting Guest
Radiator leak

1995 pontiac Transport, 6 Cyl, 110,000 miles.
my wife was out in the van the other day when the radiator blew all of its fluid. She was only a short distance from home, and was able to make it into the driveway without overheating the engine at all. when i began to investigate the situation, i noticed that there is one orafice near the bottom drivers side of the radiator that does not have a corresponding hose. there are 4 connections for transmission lines (two on either side of the radiator), two large connections that send and recieve water to and from the engine, one overflow tube, and one cap on the top. All of the outles have either a hose or a cap ecxept this one at the bottom on the drivers side. was there another cap that has come off, or did i lose an entire hose? I really dont know much about this vehicle, have never had to do anything with it. ????

Old 03-01-03, 11:45 AM
Jayhawk
Visiting Guest
Probably a sensor fitting...Low coolant indicator. Some are threaded... some snap in with an o ring.

Old 03-01-03, 12:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
Could be the drain plug also; the plastic ones sometimes break off.

Old 03-01-03, 12:28 PM
Jayhawk
Visiting Guest
Tow guy is probably right. That radiator has plastic tanks (actually a polymer) hence a plastic drain plug. The plug itself is usually 2 pieces..the retaining clip and the srew in plug itself...$5.00 at your nearest radiator shop. Its sometimes hard to replace without pulling the radiator out of the vehicle first.

Old 03-01-03, 03:51 PM
crosswind
Visiting Guest
radiator leak

it was the drain plug, since it was missing, i couldn't see it, so i didn't know what it was. I did take out the radiator, simple process, now its fixed and running. thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: