radio & fuses

Old 03-01-03, 01:36 PM
radio & fuses

1990 corolla dx 1.6 liter 4 cyl. am & fm cassette radio. the radio has been coming on & off flashing &squelching for sometime when it comes on steady as soon as i turn up volume it flashes on & off. sometimes if i let it flash for a long time it would play for awhile then flash again. i never blew a fuse for radio under kick panel fuse box,the fuse for radio under kick box is ok. recently it wouldnt come on at all for long time,then i wiggled fusable links and checked all spaded fuses of the fuse box under the hood,spaded are fine fuseable links visually look ok. i bought a haynes manual its says circut breaker can be manually reset by inserting a paperclip in hole on top,after dissconecting neg. bat. terminal and removeing circut breaker. im confused because none of fuses or fuseable links say for radio in fusebox under hood. i dont think its a antitheft radio nor do i think the radio is bad because after i wiggled fuses in underhood fusebox it started to get power to it again after haveing no power for awhile.there are round metal things in fusebox underhood that i dont know what they are for. could it be a relay or circutbreaker? and how do i know which one to replace? i thought i would try to reset circut breaker but relays and breaker look alike and have covers so i cant see hole on top to reset. would disconnecting neg. terminal help? or removeing 15A fuse for awhile help to reset?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-03, 04:09 PM
i suspect a radio problem, but you should check your ground wires to your radio a loose ground could also cause this problem, the round metal things are likely relays and have nothing to do with the radio.

Old 03-01-03, 04:38 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Agree with BeJay.

Old 03-01-03, 07:52 PM
radio and fuses

thx for replying bejay, i have had the radio out before and all wires to the back of radio are tight and clean. where would ground be? you dont think circuit breaker or relay is bad? then how come it plays occasionally if radio is bad and why did it stop playing at all until i wiggled relays and circuit breakers? please reply thx. radios are expensive and used ones you dont know how good they are,i thought of possibilty of repairing radio if bad. i have spare radios but need proper wiring harness and antenna adapter wich would cost same as used radio. i my experience when a radio broke it didnt work at all. i dont doubt you dont get me wrong,just baffles me. you dont think reseting circuit breaker would help? or replacing relay or breaker. please reply thank you

Old 03-02-03, 03:26 AM
Does this have the on/off switch that also controls the volume? If it does, these do go bad. The radio might go on and off and the volume may go up or down or you might get static. You could try some electrical contact cleaner in the switch/s, use the right stuff as some melts plastic. This would only be a temporary fix as there is usually a small amout of dielectric grease inside the switch and the cleaner will disolve some of it. Also you can try www.installdr.com for a diagram of your radion power plug.

Old 03-02-03, 05:21 AM
The fuse under the hood is the "DOME" fuse for the constant power to the radio. The radio's in that year Corolla suffered from a "static zap" problem. They would get zapped when you touch the radio and would"confuse" the processor in the radio. By pulling both radio fuses(or disconnecting the batt) would temporally correct the problem.

The correction to the problem is to have the radio repaired by someone who is aware of the fix. Likely cost $200-300 to get repaired correctly

Larry

Old 03-02-03, 06:13 AM
Stevo2 yes it has on/off push on switch that also works volume

Old 03-02-03, 06:17 AM
Toyotaman11769 do you mean DOME fuse as in domelight? i dont think there is a fuse for domelight under hood but i will check. so if that year radio is faulty buying a used one wouldnt help?

Old 03-02-03, 07:16 AM
Stevo2 i cant get http://www.installdr.com web site to work, i will try later,sounds like it would be helpfull site for installing radios though thanks

Old 03-02-03, 07:34 AM
Dome fuse is under the hood. Should be marked "DOME" and it's for the domelight and constant power for the radio memory.

Chances are used one could suffer from same problem. Better off with aftermarket radio.

Also your orginal problem if it was "clipping"(rapid on and off) at high volume could be a short in a speaker circuit. If memory serves me correct it's possible for the wires to get pinched between the glove box and dash for the right side speaker.

Larry

Old 03-02-03, 07:50 AM
toyotaman11769 thanks for advise i will try your sugestions as soon as possible,weather is bad here, i will let you know if i have any luck, thanks again

Old 03-02-03, 08:43 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Larry is your man here (experience!). I agree with him.

Old 03-02-03, 09:05 AM
Install doctor sometimes has tons of script errors. Try this link to see if you can get there easier.
http://www.installdr.com/QuickWiring.html

Old 03-02-03, 09:27 AM
toyotaman11769 now that you mentioned dome light , i did have light fail a couple times for a short period, the weather was bitterly cold so i thought it was just the weather. it wouldnt come on for just a few minutes then worked again. i will try a new dome fuse just for the heck of it too.

Old 03-02-03, 04:23 PM
Thats likely the switch sticking for the dome light. Plastic fuses usually don't go bad on their own

Larry

Old 03-02-03, 07:15 PM
toyotaman11769 i cleaned contacts on dome light fuse & radio fuse then left radio fuse & 15A EGI plastic fuse out for about 30 minutes and radio worked ok again, i only drove it for a short time today, will have to wait and see what happens next. I appreciate your help. next time it fails i will try to narrow it down to 1 fuse and see what happens.

Old 05-03-03, 03:12 PM
Smile radio

it was a bad radio, i replaced radio and it works alright. Thanks to all for the help!!