Chevy intake manifold coolant leak

Old 03-02-03, 01:45 PM
Unhappy Chevy intake manifold coolant leak

I have a 1996 Chevy Tahoe with a coolant lead at the intake manifold. I am in process of removing the manifold but having some difficulty removing. I believe I have removed all bolting but the manifold is stuborn, any hints? Also how common is the leak on this manifold, Vehicle has 109K miles, and have always used the orange coolant. I have replace water pump (@100K) due to sepage at the weep hole.

Thanks in advance
David

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-03, 01:47 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Can't help much, don't know the engine size.

Check autolibrary.org for the R&R procedure.

Old 03-02-03, 01:54 PM
My mistake. Its a 350 ci or 5.7 litter with a vortex fuel injection system.

Old 03-02-03, 03:57 PM
it is a common problem for the intake to leak coolant on this engine and would be a good idea to change the oil and filter as soon as you have reinstalled the intake before starting the engine. you can check the link below for more information on removal of the intake.
http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%...delLookup.html

Old 03-02-03, 06:03 PM
tekoh
Visiting Guest
Question

A friend of mine told me I should get rid of the Orange coolant in my 96 GMC 5.7 liter pickup, and go to the green. I have 40K miles on it.
I have not noticed any leakage on it yet, but he told me the acidity of the orange antifreeze is too high and it corrodes out the gaskets.

Can anyone confirm, is this the true source of the problem, or is it more related to the design of the new Vortec injection manifold? I was told it has less bolts than the older GM manifolds used to have, which may also be part of the problem.

Old 03-02-03, 06:19 PM
tekoh

In doing a little research I am of the opionion the leak has to do with the orange, after talking to several mechanics and others with General Motors vehicles that have had various coolant system leaks. I also changed the water pump after only 100K miles, when fluid came out of the weep hole.

If switching orange to the green I am told to that you should perform a good clear water flush of the system. When I complete the intake manifold seal replacement I will switch to the green.

Old 03-02-03, 07:20 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No! If the vehicle requires Dexcool/extended life coolant, you MUST use that. Regular coolant DOES NOT meet the OEM specs for boiling protection and freezeover.

If the owner's manual calls for Dexcool, you must use it. No exceptions unless you want to damage the cooling system in the long haul. The only thing I do not buy about the stuff is the "extended drain interval" business. I flush my cooling systems once a year.