Transmission Problem

Old 03-04-03, 10:22 AM
Vendetta
Visiting Guest
Transmission Problem

I have a 1991 Geo Storm 1.6L SOHC with an automatic transmission. It was recently in an accident where the front passenger side was hit in the tire. Aside from minor damage to the fender, the wheel rim was deformed and the lower support bar broke. So far I had the lower support bar and the wheel and everything else damaged there replaced. I just need it drivable again. But before I started the car up, I checked all the fluids and found that it had zero transmission fluid in it. I tried putting more in, and it all just leaked out. The tranny looks fine on the outside, no visible damage (I know, that doesn't mean a thing but I thought I'd say it anyway). Could this problem be something simple as a broken seal, or do I need to have the transmission rebuilt, or even replaced.

Old 03-04-03, 10:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Can you see where the fluid is coming out? The case was probably cracked in the accident.

Old 03-04-03, 10:47 AM
Vendetta
Visiting Guest
I can't believe I didn't think of looking at where the fluid is coming out from. I'll check when I get the chance. And if there is a crack in the case, is that going to be expensive to fix, or does that mean the tranny is gone and needs to be replaced?

Old 03-04-03, 10:51 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If the case is cracked, it likely cannot be fixed properly and you'd fare better getting a used one from the junkyard.

Depending on the vehicle's condition and worth to you, it may not be worth repairing---these aren't stellar vehicles.

Old 03-04-03, 11:03 AM
Vendetta
Visiting Guest
Looks like I'll just get a used transmission from somewhere, that seems to be the safest bet. I'm going to keep the car, I've invested a lot of money into it already (sound system, reupholstery, etc.).

But what if there is no crack, at least one that I can find, is that situation usually better or worse?

Old 03-04-03, 11:08 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Not sure I understand the question. If the tranny fluid is leaking out and you are finding puddles under the car of fluid, the cause has to be found and corrected. The tranny will puke in short order without fluid or by being low.

You might want to have a good tranny shop look at it for you (get a couple of opinions) to see what they say the problem is.

Old 03-04-03, 11:12 AM
Vendetta
Visiting Guest
Ok, I'll just have a tranny shop check it out. Thanks, Joe!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: