Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

87 S10 blazer headlight problem

Visiting Guest

03-04-03, 09:37 PM   #1  
Nicholas
87 S10 blazer headlight problem

I have a friend thats having problems with his headlights on his 87 S10 blazer. It seems that he'll have head lights when he first turns them on, then they go out shortly down the road. Then after a little while he'll try them again and they'll come back on only to shut off again after a little while. He said that he kind of thought he smelt something before they went out the first time. He checked the fuses and all looks good. He said the running lights were still working but he wasnt sure wether the tail lights were on or not. Any help would be great. Thanks, Nick

Sponsored Links

03-04-03, 11:45 PM   #2  
Wow!!! That could be a lot of things. First I would check my voltage to the light. Try it with the motor at different RPMís. Dose it go out when he hits a bump or just sitting there? If it goes out when he hits a bump it could be a bad ground or a faulty wire. But if it is only affecting the light I would doubt it was a bad ground. That leaves us with wires and relays. Wires are easy to check so start there, break out the old trusty mutli-meter you used to check the voltage at the light and test the wires, test them in lots of positions not just one. If that is not it most likely itís a relay that is on the fritz. Relays can be tested but its better to cross that bridge down the road if you get that far.

Visiting Guest

03-05-03, 03:53 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Possible bad headlight switch or shorting/overloading at the switch connector (it does happen).

03-05-03, 10:49 PM   #4  
Originally posted by Joe_F
Possible bad headlight switch or shorting/overloading at the switch connector (it does happen).
LOL, yep i for got about the light. But i doubt it would be both lights at the same time.

Search this Thread