Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Car Won't Start At Times!

Visiting Guest

03-05-03, 01:26 PM   #1  
SPARKLLE
Car Won't Start At Times!

I HAVE A 92' NISSAN SENTRA STANDARD 4SPD. SOMETIMES IT STARTS OTHER TIMES IT DOESN'T. IF YOU PUSH IT, IT WILL START. I'VE NOTICED THAT IT HAPPENS MORE WHEN ITS VERY COLD OUTSIDE, BUT IM NOT SURE. THE BATTERY IS NEW, I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO CHECK THE STARTER. ALSO!! MY DAD RIGGED THE CAR SO THAT THE CLUTCH DOES NOT NEED TO BE PUSHED IN TO START. BUT HE SAID HE REVERSED IT, BUT I STILL DON'T NEED TO PUSH THE CLUTCH, I WAS TOLD THAT HE PROBABLY DISABLED THE SAFTEY SWITCH, BUT LIKE I SAID HE REVERSED IT. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! I REALLY APPRICIATE IT. THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-05-03, 04:04 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Kill the caps. No need to shout.

Use autolibrary.org below to check the operation of the neutral safety switch---it sounds wasted.

Visiting Guest

03-05-03, 05:18 PM   #3  
Timorama
If someone bypassed the neutral safety switch on the clutch there must have been a reason for doing so. If the switch was bad before bypassing it, then reversing the 'fix' didn't fix the original problem. Since it will start by pushing it I would rule out an ignition switch. Neutral safety switches are cheap, easy to replace, and probably the best place to start. Also have the starter checked, if the contacts in the solenoid are burnt go ahead and replace the starter.

Visiting Guest

03-05-03, 07:06 PM   #4  
SPARKLLE
well...

heres the thing, i didn't mention this problem started in janurary and i've had it since april. But anyway.. a starter is about $100 and a saftey switch is $80. What do i do? there is no way to check the saftey switch, but i can't afford to buy the wrong part. What to do? Like i said i think its mainly in the cold weather, would that effect the switch or the starter more? I appriciate ALL
responses! thanks =)

Visiting Guest

03-05-03, 07:41 PM   #5  
Timorama
When you say the engine won't start, does the engine turn over at all? If not, does the starter click? Do your headlights come on? Do they dim excessively when you turn the key to try to start the engine? If the engine cranks but doesn't fire then you need to look elsewhere. As far as cold weather, the starter will crank the engine more slowly in cold weather, usually due to the oil being thicker and sitting in the oil pan. However, moisture from cold weather condensing in the starter case(snow) could also cause slow cranking. Look at the wiring reversal 'fix'. Did he cut the wires and use butt connectors to bypass the switch? Or did he unbend a paper clip and jam it in the connector? If he cut the wires initially and used butt connectors to splice them back together, you could also have a bad connection there. Next time it doasn't start, tap the starter with a hammer and try again. You don't have to wail on it, just a medium tap, then try to start it again. If this works, I would replace the starter. Why did he bypass the neutral switch? You should be able to test the switch by unplugging the connector to it and using a continuity tester on the switch. Remember not to test a live circuit with a continuity tester or a volt/ohmmeter in the continuity setting.

Visiting Guest

03-07-03, 10:46 AM   #6  
SPARKLLE
hmm

OK... No, the lights don't dim. The car doesn't even crank. It does nothing, the lights, radio everything comes on. I don't know why my dad did what he did to the car, I think he cut the wires, but then he put them back, like I said this only started in late dec, early janurary and he cut the wires in april of last year. He put them back about a month ago. When i push the stupid car it starts, both parts are so expensive i don't know what to buy. I haven't tapped the starter yet, i will today because im sure it wont start. I don't know HELP!!

Visiting Guest

03-07-03, 12:19 PM   #7  
Joe_F
You need to start with the links and posts in my signature file below---most notably autolibrary.org.

Study the wiring diagrams there carefully to see where the continuity break is.

Visiting Guest

03-12-03, 08:45 AM   #8  
SPARKLLE
my best friend the hammer!

Well... I guess its the starter, I just need to wait until I get the $$ to buy one, I hope it will still last for a little bit longer until I can get one. Sooo thanks everyone !!

03-14-03, 01:33 AM   #9  
Sense it's a standard you can push start it if you have to!

Visiting Guest

03-14-03, 03:11 AM   #10  
Joe_F
Not a good idea. That is not good for the catalytic converter to do so on a continuous basis .

Visiting Guest

03-14-03, 02:20 PM   #11  
SPARKLLE
RE: CAR WON'T START

I am buying a starter tomorrow and putting it in tomorrow!! This tapping business is getting ridiculous and pushing the car? I already hurt my back. I have my manual, and I am changing the starter out myself. Thanks again everyone!

Search this Thread