Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1997 pontaic starts then dies

Visiting Guest

03-05-03, 03:16 PM   #1  
TAB1

Okay heres whats up wtih the 1997 pon.4cyl,2.4 quad.I replaced the fuel filter ,the ignition module,alternator,drive belt,and i checked to see if fuel pump was working, it is. Then i had battery tested its okay also. I got in after my hard labor started it, the engine light went off, and so did the battery light, it ran for a minute or so then died. I restarted it and the battery light came on , it ran for another minute and died Im lost as to do what next . Any suggestion now ?
T.B.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-05-03, 04:02 PM   #2  
Joe_F
If the battery light is on, the belt is slipping or the alternator is likely wasted.

Visiting Guest

03-05-03, 06:12 PM   #3  
darrell McCoy
Joes gotcha covered on that. Probably a dead short in primary wire or more than likely internal failure in alt.- Reg. or diode.
Have it checked. Since a GM, I would use a good G.M. reman.
Not that expensive, besides who needs lifetime warranty stuff when you to have to change it 2 or 3 times to get a good one.

Visiting Guest

03-05-03, 07:20 PM   #4  
TAB1
1997 pontaic

Well i went out and tighten the belt and it started and the battery light went off, i actually drove it for couple miles and it died again and battery light and engine light came on .Tighten belt some more then no lights came on. Im just a gal trying to be more knowledgeable about my car, so i guess the problem is the belt ? I was told, that they are spring loaded , are they ? if so how do i reload the spring tension ????

Thanks so much for your help
Tab1

03-05-03, 08:17 PM   #5  
the belt tensioner is spring loaded and not servicable you replace the whole belt tensioner when it is bad, does the belt seem to be tight?
also when the engine is running and the battery light is on it is indicating a problem with the charging system, when the key is on and the engine is not running the battery light will be on and is normal regardless of whether the engine died or you just turned the key on, if the engine isnt running the battery light will be on.

Visiting Guest

03-05-03, 10:04 PM   #6  
TAB1
1997 pontaic

Thank you for your information, See when i replaced the alternator i loosened the adjusting bolt and slipped off the belt to the alternator . Then i replaced the alternator and slipped on the belt and retighten the bolt. so i dont know if thats right ??? Thats why i ask if it was spring loaded . so i could correct what i did wrong and fix the darn thing once and for all. It does seem to tight. but need to know if i have to do somthing different to the adjuster bolt.???? do i keep tightening it or what ???
Tab1

03-06-03, 02:57 AM   #7  
If the belt tensioner is spring loaded than there is no adjustment for it. If you are not sure its working correctly the best thing is to replace it. You should also replace your belt if you havnt yet. Thats my thoughts.

Visiting Guest

03-06-03, 03:31 AM   #8  
Joe_F
I agree. Replace the belt and tensioner with new ones. Use autolibrary.org below to guide you.

Let us know how you make out.

Visiting Guest

03-12-03, 06:20 PM   #9  
TAB1

Well thanks for all your help , i tried every thing and the peice of #### still wouldnt run. I had it towed to a shop .They still are trying to find the problem. Although he did say i did a good job for a gal replacing everything.And with your help, i will have saved money cause they cant replace what i have, and charge me.

Thanks again
Tab

03-14-03, 01:20 AM   #10  
Sounds like a bad voltage regulator to me

Search this Thread