Daihatsu Charade - timing belt

Old 03-05-03, 08:59 PM
Max Cuypers
Visiting Guest

The timing belt on my daughters 1994 Daihatsu Charade (3 cyl. 1.0 Litre) broke, which resulted in the pistons bending the valves. I have replaced the valves and put everything back together, but I am a little confused with the markings on the timing-belt and the camshaft-wheel. On different positions on the camshaft wheel there are the letters RU, a larger round dot, and a small dot with a circular line. I assumed that the small dot on the camshaft wheel had to correspond with one of the markings on the timing belt, but that does not seems to make any sence. Does anyone know the correct answer to this. To make matters more confusing, the 2 markings on the timing belt are not equally spaced. The distances between the markings are respectively 42 and 49 teeth.

I have tried to ask the local Daihatsu dealer for advise, but they were extremely unhelpful. I assume that they dislike people trying to help themselves.

Thank you.

Max Cuypers

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-03, 11:30 PM
All I can say is get a service manual for the car. You might have to order it but it will be worth it weight in gold. I could guess at it but I dont like to do that.

Old 03-06-03, 01:19 AM
Might try your local library for a service manual.

Old 03-06-03, 01:19 AM
Max Cuypers
Visiting Guest
service manual

I have tried this avenue, but obtaining a service manual appears to be a problem as well. They are off the shelf available for the models up to 1993, but not for 1994 onwards (which apparently a different engine).

Max Cuypers

Old 03-06-03, 01:32 AM
Chilton's Import Car Repair Manual, 1993-97, Part # 7920, ISBN 0-8019-7920-X

Old 03-06-03, 02:28 AM
Well, if you cant find a Chilton's or Mitchell's Import manual that covers it than you might try posting at the imports forum of www.batauto.com or at the Technical Forum at http://www.globalcar.com/cgi-bin/forum.pl?f=2

I do not find hardly any info online for Daihatsu and especially the 1994. worst vase scenario, purchase the factory manual and then you can always re-sell it it to independent service manual stores online or on Ebay.

Old 03-06-03, 03:36 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Daihatsu didn't stick around here long due to lackluster sales and even more so quality, but you should still be able to get a factory manual from them.

Check the links in my signature file. There, I have a list of all the OEMs and where to buy the manuals directly. If not, have the Daihatsu dealer (I'm suprised you can still find one) order you the manual.

Old 03-06-03, 04:31 PM
Max Cuypers
Visiting Guest
Australia

Some of the difficulty may be that I live in Australia.
Thanks for the replies.

Old 03-06-03, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
I wouldn't be too hard on a garage not wanting to give out free advice.

Two reasons: (1) They're in the business to make money fixing cars; but more importantly (2) they probably don't want to get blamed for the advice if it results in another set of bent valves.

Living in Australia isn't difficult, is it? Spent 3 weeks in your fair city in 1987 and MY only difficulty was re-learning the English language, LOL.

Old 03-07-03, 01:20 AM
You might try an Email to the guy that runs this site in Australia. He says he might be able to point you in the right direction at his website.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~bebop1/index2.html

Old 03-07-03, 01:47 AM
Max Cuypers
Visiting Guest

Thank you Stevo2.

I have followed all of the advice above.

Old 03-07-03, 05:52 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Nah shouldn't be a problem. Most of the sources that I mentioned ship internationally. You might have to wait a bit to get the items, but they should be able to get to "down under".

I sent pictures of my Trans Am which will be featured in a book to a guy in Australia for editing, took about a week.

Search this Thread